Author Topic: Questions  (Read 232563 times)

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
Re: Questions
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 05:54:15 AM »
Three more forgotten guns....
  • .22 Magnum revolver (uses .22 ammo)
  • Carbine rifle (uses .30 ammo)
  • Sawed-off shotgun (uses 12-gauge shells)

Yeah I know. There are 3-4 more I left out because I don't want to ruin the surprise of them :-)

ryan

• ZDay Code Ninja
  • Administrator
  • Admin - Dev
    • Three Jacks Software
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 07:42:45 AM »
Yeah I have a question... with two gator melee number is higher than an auto shotgun (my total is 44 in just fyi) does that mean I do more damage with the gator pros than an auto shotgun or not? I would still use an auto shotgun against hordes because there are far more rounds per turn. But if I had to kill 2 survivors which would be more effective, my melee or an auto shotgun?

The melee/ballistic numbers represent the total melee/attack in your two hand slots (plus any modifiers).  So when you have two weapons equipped the number is the total of both weapons.

Attacking is done one weapon at a time, so an apples to apples comparison would be to put one single handed weapon in your hand and then compare that to a two handed weapon.

Ryan

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 07:47:45 AM »
Yeah I have a question... with two gator melee number is higher than an auto shotgun (my total is 44 in just fyi) does that mean I do more damage with the gator pros than an auto shotgun or not? I would still use an auto shotgun against hordes because there are far more rounds per turn. But if I had to kill 2 survivors which would be more effective, my melee or an auto shotgun?

The melee/ballistic numbers represent the total melee/attack in your two hand slots (plus any modifiers).  So when you have two weapons equipped the number is the total of both weapons.

Attacking is done one weapon at a time, so an apples to apples comparison would be to put one single handed weapon in your hand and then compare that to a two handed weapon.

Ryan

ah ok, so then the attack value of each one handed weapon is it's individual value plus my bonus modifiers? so technically instead of attacking with 44 I am attacking with 34 twice correct? but if I did get a two handed melee weapon and the total was higher than the ballistic value of a firearm which would be more effective? I only ask to know if I should stick with auto shotguns for survivors or take them out with melee when I get higher. Wanna conserve ammunition whenever possible.

-Genocidal Wings-

• -Mirage of Deceit-
  • -Betray all with the Flawed Image-
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 07:56:06 AM »
Remember, the melee value may be higher than the auto shotgun, but its a single attack, twice if you are dual wielding. On the other hand, the autoshotgun or whatever other gun you use MIGHT be able to fire multiple rounds at the same opponent, OR multiple rounds to two different opponents if you are dual wielding.

For me, the best equipment right now are two gators to conserve ammo. They can take shit out in one hit almost always. IF I run into a really big, spread out horde like last time, and I need to use guns, I prefer to take out two submachineguns and take them out two at a time. That's assuming they group up into multiple hordes - individual zeds don't seem to pose much of a challenge normally.

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 08:02:27 AM »
Remember, the melee value may be higher than the auto shotgun, but its a single attack, twice if you are dual wielding. On the other hand, the autoshotgun or whatever other gun you use MIGHT be able to fire multiple rounds at the same opponent, OR multiple rounds to two different opponents if you are dual wielding.

For me, the best equipment right now are two gators to conserve ammo. They can take shit out in one hit almost always. IF I run into a really big, spread out horde like last time, and I need to use guns, I prefer to take out two submachineguns and take them out two at a time. That's assuming they group up into multiple hordes - individual zeds don't seem to pose much of a challenge normally.

Yeah I was mostly referring to survivors because if I'm only fighting 2 then I may want my two gator pros because then I would have a good shot at killing them. Though for hordes I would always stick with guns because there are more opportunities I just wanted to know exactly when I could afford not to use a gun.

-Genocidal Wings-

• -Mirage of Deceit-
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 08:14:42 AM »
I always use my gators against survivors xD the only survivors who have me a hard one were the ones raiding the coffee place back in prelude... Because I just had a steel pipe and a dull knife xD

TyMoore

• Rule 23: God Bless Rednecks
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 08:58:37 AM »
This may be old news too, but there are tactics for enemies that start close, which are closing distance.  Because you lose the option to switch weapons once they close, you can "attack" and immediately switch weapons before the enemy closes and removes the option to switch... But you've gotta be quick.
“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.”

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
  • "Rule number 4: Double Tap"
    • ZDAYNow
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 09:41:16 AM »
the distance between your opponent and the bottom of the screen (Your weapon/action bar) on the Battle grid is not meant to represent physical distance as much as it is meant to represent "initiative", in other words, how much initiative your opponent has gained on you. 

For example: If you approach a walker that you encounter on the street, because you are approaching it in an open environment, naturally you will have most of the initiative, so you can switch weapons, scratch your butt, take your time, maybe do some stretches, and then bash his head in. 

However, if you get stuck in a small confined space like a closet and zed falls out of the ceiling and lands on top of you, you might not have quite so much of the initiative, and you may not even have time to switch weapons, etc. 

I realize that its hard not to see the battle grid in terms of distance, its a natural conclusion to assume the grid represents a physical space, and the tiles growing larger only reinforces that.  But when you design a game you have to try and balance what makes sense with what you are trying to achieve in terms of user experience. 

Hope that helps. 

Ed
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:00:41 PM by Ed »
Bring on The Dead

TyMoore

• Rule 23: God Bless Rednecks
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »
My bad... initiative.  Losing initiative is worse than losing ground.  (Especially when you're holding a gerber machete and WANT them in close.)

Still... if you're quick, you can attack and swap weapons before you lose the initiative.  (Which makes sense... a prepared man can pull a trigger and whip out your knife before a surprised victim has a chance to assess the situation.)
“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.”

Das14tiger

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2013, 01:19:09 PM »
So im just wondering about how the armor works because i had a gas mask/ respirator in the correct armor slot and i was on the mission with the armored camper in the junkyard. When the 2 survivors came back and i refused to leave the camper the threw a can of tear gas or something and my character starts breathing it in? (WTH?) im not sure what i did wrong, and im also not sure what to do with certain items like the camp stove, the tarp, tent, the zip ties, plastic tubing, and several other things and i cant find any survivors to join my party and whenever i do they always deny me even though i have plenty of food and weapons, i have replayed every mission in the game several times and i know each one by heart and i have tried every option imaginable, the only thing i haven't explored much is equipping certain items to do different things, well anyways id love some answers and im really looking forward to the improvements that I've heard about in the near future.
Never stop, never settle

-Genocidal Wings-

• -Mirage of Deceit-
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2013, 01:23:07 PM »
so you can switch weapons, scratch your butt,

xD Epic.

@Das
If you had read around you would know that a lot of items will be of use later, some for their obvious uses and some for crafting other things, upgrading equipment and trade. Also, if you read, you'd see that NPCs have been found by a few players, but currently, NPC support is off due to technical issues.

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »
So im just wondering about how the armor works because i had a gas mask/ respirator in the correct armor slot and i was on the mission with the armored camper in the junkyard. When the 2 survivors came back and i refused to leave the camper the threw a can of tear gas or something and my character starts breathing it in? (WTH?) im not sure what i did wrong, and im also not sure what to do with certain items like the camp stove, the tarp, tent, the zip ties, plastic tubing, and several other things and i cant find any survivors to join my party and whenever i do they always deny me even though i have plenty of food and weapons, i have replayed every mission in the game several times and i know each one by heart and i have tried every option imaginable, the only thing i haven't explored much is equipping certain items to do different things, well anyways id love some answers and im really looking forward to the improvements that I've heard about in the near future.

You should head on over to the "survivor Z" place and hit the Information hub topic and read that.... Everyone should before they ask a question...

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2013, 08:19:58 AM »
Bumped so everyone with questions about the game ask them here instead of cluttering other topics, also check the information hub first because it may answer a good amount of your questions.

citizenkraft

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2013, 08:39:42 AM »
anyone mind sharing where they've picked up a gator pro? 

i live in an predominantly service-oriented area, so lots of bars, restaurants, yoga studios and the like.  Not great for picking up weapons.

I'll have to target my scavenging trips, so if you guys could share where you picked yours up at?  I'm not sure if I should be going to a military base as it has a high % chance of weapons, or maybe targeting outdoor stores which would have a higher % chance of non-ballistic weapons like the gator pro, ice picks, etc.

Thanks

-Genocidal Wings-

• -Mirage of Deceit-
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 09:11:24 AM »
If you're relatively low level, military bases will almost be like a treasure motherload. You'll be getting weapons left and right. Yes, there's a chance you'll be picking up a gator or two, or three. Provided you have enough military buildings.

Pawn shops also are good. And police stations.