Author Topic: Questions  (Read 232572 times)

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
Questions
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:33:13 AM »
Got a question about a challenge? Or perhaps something about the prelude or how to get an NPC? Well come ask it here. The forum is littered with everyone asking tons of different questions so here is a thread to consolidate all your questions about the game so that we don't get the same ones asked by new comers. So please come one come all and ask about the zombie apocalypse. After all information is sometimes more powerful than a nice shiny gun.

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:33:22 PM »
How exactly do you locate certain locations? I was wondering because some places are certainly not what they actually are. One of my high school classes was listed as a prison and when clicked it said "Mrs. Heinz's class from hell" or something like that so I was simply wondering who invents these locations or what exactly you get them from.

ryan

• ZDay Code Ninja
  • Administrator
  • Admin - Dev
    • Three Jacks Software
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 04:53:57 PM »
We use Foursquare for our location data, so the location you mention is most likely a user created location.  I know in my local area there are several user defined locations that are in the suburbs, even one called "Home Depot" that is in the middle of some houses. 

We have a system where we categorize the foursquare data into our 'zday' world. It's all based on the fourquare data though.

I've also encountered situations where the foursquare data is just plain wrong...for instance a restaurant name and address are listed correctly but the GPS data from foursquare puts them several miles from where they are really located.

Ryan

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »
Thanks! I wasn't completely sure because some of them are so correct that I figured it could be from the locational services since they are typically very accurate. An ingenious idea I must admit! Nothing more exciting than getting a .50 cal from the local gas station

FortunesFaded

• Don't Fear The Reaper
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 05:33:06 PM »
Out of curiosity, what is keeping some player in need of a weapon or two in game from going on Foursquare and putting a military base in their backyard or something? I'm not too familiar with the software but I feel like manipulating it would be fairly easy
We face a crossroad, never knowing what's in store;
There's an angel on my shoulder,
There's a devil at my door.

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
  • "Rule number 4: Double Tap"
    • ZDAYNow
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 05:38:05 PM »
Nothing, except that Foursquare has a few things to say about that.  It's not as easy as it used to be to create locations. 

But if you do, they will show up.  Not only to you, but to everyone. 

Ed
Bring on The Dead

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 07:10:14 PM »
Hmmm I was wondering this too. Cause it was pretty simple from what I thought to make a location but I guess four square won't always accept the location? I mean I have enough nearby but yeah I agree how do you we keep people from doing that?

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
  • "Rule number 4: Double Tap"
    • ZDAYNow
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 09:20:51 PM »
You should look into it, its not as easy as it used to be.  First off you have to be a Foursquare "power user", and even then it can be tricky.  Not to mention if you create a "gun store" right by your house, where there isn't one it will get flagged and removed pretty quick, and you won;t be a power user for long. 

Ed
Bring on The Dead

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 05:49:19 PM »
interesting. I was tinkering with it yesterday (Or rather my brother was) and he created 2-3 police stations on top of our house and I searched all of them... I was hoping to get a special challenge for the police stations but alas no soup for me

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 05:50:46 PM »
Anyone find a use for the ham radio or walkie talkie? I pull mine out all the time hoping it will get some use but can't seem to find it :-/

TyMoore

• Rule 23: God Bless Rednecks
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 06:42:33 PM »
I'm hoping ill be able to use it to contact NPCs or PVP. (Oh please... I need someone to talk with, my recent acquaintances haven't been the greatest conversationalists.)
“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.”

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »
I was also hopin this, btw love the pipboy avi

WhiskeyDelta

• Time to curb some zombies!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 01:07:56 AM »
Ham radio? Sounds delicious.
Zombies ain't much to look at once u scrape um off your boot heel

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 05:23:07 AM »
It is quite delicious. I have 2 so I can feast upon one without worry  ;)

ImmortalFenix88

• My name on here is my Xbox Live gamertag
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 11:47:13 AM »
I'm new to this game. Bought it this passed weekend and am loving it! Totally addicted! Ive died like 12 times and started over and have now gotten the hang of it, I'm level 2. When or how do i get a group together. I was at a crashed military plane (no details) but still haven't found any one to work with? Do i need real people? Or do you only find npc's for your group and where? Thank you!
Fenix