Author Topic: Server Updates  (Read 25798 times)

ryan

• ZDay Code Ninja
  • Administrator
  • Admin - Dev
    • Three Jacks Software
Server Updates
« on: February 20, 2013, 09:17:35 PM »
I'm starting this thread to communicate information about server side changes we've made to the system or are planning to make.

Tonight we deployed a change that will make the action buttons in explore mode stay grey if you have searched them in the past few hours.  A small change but helpful to know where you've been recently.

Ryan

Kafska

Re: Server Updates
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:16:51 AM »
it worked now for me but i have only tried at my home place
aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh oh wait ... it's only a zed ^^

Renter

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 04:17:38 AM »
Works for me. Good fix, this cuts down some of the repetitiveness of patrolling my area.

ryan

• ZDay Code Ninja
  • Administrator
  • Admin - Dev
    • Three Jacks Software
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »
Hello everyone.  In preparation for the 1.2 launch we've made a couple server changes that I wanted to let the community know about:

1. Enemy tiles are will be more dispersed on the fight screen.  So instead of a 3 tiles with 4 zombies, you might find yourself against 12 single zombie tiles.  The enemy tiles will move and form up as the fight goes on.  I post this as a PSA: be very careful about how you approach fights with many many tiles.

2. Repeated activity in a single area is now more dangerous and more rewarding.  There is now a small chance that you might find items again at locations you've visited.  The chances diminish with each search you do of a location, so if you've already searched your home area's 50 times then don't expect to farm items easily.  However if you explore a brand new area, there is the possibility of item drops on subsequent searches.

3. Along with point #2 above, repeated activity in a single area and repeated searches of the same locations will eventually start drawing zombies your way.  This is meant to more accurately model what happens if you loiter in an area shooting off your guns....which we all know that is a sure fire way to bring zombies your way.

4. If you happen to attract a lot of zombie attention, you'll notice the background image on the bottom status bar changes.  If you see red be very very careful.

5. You will now expend food and water with each location search. 

As always, enjoy!

Ryan

Ripamaru

• Trust me.
    • Ripamaru
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 06:04:11 PM »
Wow, everything sounded awesome until number 5. That sounds like a toughie but I will give it my best shot.
Audacity, more audacity, always audacity.

noblelance

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:27:13 AM »
So right now, we're slowly losing food/water but having trouble collecting it until the 1.2 patch? Or has the food/water bug been fixed up too?

ryan

• ZDay Code Ninja
  • Administrator
  • Admin - Dev
    • Three Jacks Software
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 06:47:49 AM »
#1 and #5 require the 1.2 client, so you won't start expending food and water until the update comes out.

edmundzilla

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 12:19:20 PM »
Hi guys,

I know it outs me as someone who's really looking forward to 1.2 update, but 24 minutes ago, Apple decided to push the patch. I am currently downloading it now.

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
  • "Rule number 4: Double Tap"
    • ZDAYNow
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 12:29:24 PM »
Thank you, but we all grabbed the patch this morning.  There's no shame in it. it was much anticipated. 

E
Bring on The Dead

TyMoore

• Rule 23: God Bless Rednecks
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 02:09:49 PM »
Pretty cool when I saw three singleton zombies merge into a pack or 3 for the first time.  Are packs harder to kill then 1 at a time?  I was wondering if it might not be to my advantage to let them group together... for example if a single zombie took 6 damage and my weapon was doing 9 per hit.  I could either attack a single zombie once, three times.  Or, if the pack of 3 took 18 damage, I could attack the pack twice.

If a pack had some advantage (required more damage to kill) this dosn't pencil out.  Again, the mechanics of the game are hidden, but trial and error seem to show me that my logic works out.

... anyone inclined to disagree.  (Please do, if you don't agree.  I'm probably only 55%-45% sure at this point.)
“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.”

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
  • "Rule number 4: Double Tap"
    • ZDAYNow
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 02:29:51 PM »
The logic is hidden, and you are mostly right.  We calculate your chances of a successful hit, but you aren't awarded the same damage every time, that is randomly determined from a range.  Your Melee/ballistic modifer (skill) effects your ability to get a hit and the damage you do, but it affects them differently.  (A hit with a rifle is not as greatly affected as a hit with a machete)

The advantage a horde has is that they attack as a group, so the player fighting three individuals may not have to defend three attacks, but only 1 or 2, while a horde attacks as a group. 

Hope that helps

Ed
Bring on The Dead

TyMoore

• Rule 23: God Bless Rednecks
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 03:03:34 PM »
That makes sense (not surprised) and helps explain some things.  ... it might affect how I choose to fight a battle.  Thanks.
“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.”

Ripamaru

• Trust me.
    • Ripamaru
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 08:38:54 PM »
 Got to play a lot today as my wife did most of the driving. Managed to increase my water supply much faster than before the patch. The inventory screen is now silky smooth on my iPhone 3GS as well.
Audacity, more audacity, always audacity.

ryan

• ZDay Code Ninja
  • Administrator
  • Admin - Dev
    • Three Jacks Software
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 12:10:35 AM »
Deployed a small update tonight that will show the weapon a rival is holding during a fight.

There aren't many rivals out there with guns, but remember this, Uzi's and Auto-shotguns are just as effective for them as they are for you....

Ryan

Tacticx95

• Global Moderator
  • Another new day
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 05:58:42 AM »
Thank u for that little update now I know if I should kill them or not
Y.G