Author Topic: Survivor's Guide To The Apocalypse  (Read 26621 times)

That1Hunter

• I don't die, I survive
Re: Survivor's Guide To The Apocalypse
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2014, 04:01:45 AM »
I guess anyone can write these days! Nice stories everyone!

Otterpop

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2014, 01:03:53 PM »
At this point, there's no way to know what day it is, or how long it's been. It's all blended together; a fresco of the faces of rivals and friends, on a background of smeared gore. I can vaguely remember a time when I thought everyone could be saved, but the fact is, some have no desire to cooperate. I remember a group before we built the Outpost. There was loyalty at the start, and trust, even friendship. Corruption and the tiny iron fist with which Dear Leader attempted to rule drove so many of us to strike out in search of a place to call our own. No sooner had we began construction than we were assaulted by our old friends. There were battles here and there, skirmishes, but nothing largescale enough to call it a war. All but one seemed to have realized the futility of their efforts to destroy us fairly quickly. There is however, one unstable survivor pilfering a can of beans here and there, and we hear him celebrate his perceived victory every time. He cackles on high, and yells to his nonexistent and/or catatonic allies that they're winning, and that they should join the fight. I fear for the young man. He's eating (we leave him food to make sure), but how long can his ammo reserves last? How many times will he face death for a meal that we'd gladly donate? I believe he's lost his mind. All evidence indicates that he is completely unaware of the reality of his situation. As much of a neusance as he's made himself, I still don't look forward to the day his rotting reanimated corpse comes knocking. His tunnel-vision focus on stealing a few days of food at a time is going to be the death of him one day. I don't believe we can save him.

And now there appears to be a new group. They're small in numbers, but large in testicular fortitude. These new warriors would make for good allies, if they could only see they're engaged in an unwinnable struggle with us. They targeted one of ours to test their mettle, and are finding out that we don't enjoy being attacked. We seem to have gained a reputation as some sort of evil superpower (and our enemies plant ME at the helm, as though I masterminded all of this, as if I am even capeable of controlling those who live at the Outpost. Do they not understand that the concept of a singular leader whose word is law is what we fled when we left them?), but as a whole we don't attack unprovoked. I can think of one person that lives at the Outpost who makes himself the aggressor. He practices a "join or die" mentality, and does NOT like to be ignored. He's a wildcard, and there'd be no way to control him without the situation becoming tense. I for one wouldn't have it any other way. It's not my place to give orders or maintain control. We're all capeable of making our own decisions. It's this supreme belief in ourselves and each other that have led us to prosper so. I say 'join us or don't!' It doesn't make a difference to me. We'll do fine, but there is strength in numbers, and aide (both tangible necessities and invaluable training) to be given for those who seek it. Find us at the Freedom Outpost. We've moved past simply surviving. We thrive. We look to a prosperous future with not hope, but absolute certainty. Join us or don't. It's fine either way, but I implore you not to take part in any attack on the FO. I grow weary of the cloak & dagger. I don't know if this will ever be read, but if anyone gets this far, know that you are strong to have survived this long, even if you're too stupid to apply your strength in a positive manner.
Comforts of home for npcs, add brass knuckles to melee weapons, BEYONETTES, reinforce body armor with steel plates. I'm always spitballing

Savages911

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2014, 01:26:26 PM »
Well written and tells of our daily struggle. Long live FO b
Freedom Outpost
Come check our chat and alliance. :)
http://www.palringo.com/en/us/invite/AgH2pA/AKVcmA
There's a reason we own all the city passes.

slejhamR

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2014, 10:34:39 AM »
December 30th

Decided it's easier to count the days if I just record each entry by the day it's written. Anyway, it's almost 2015, not that it matters anymore. Around these times prior to Z-Day, people would be out celebrating with famy and friends, celebrating another year they've been alive, a start to a new year, to new memories, and to new beginnings. Now, it's nothing but a heartache. Another year we've been living in this hell, another year since we've been forced into this cruel new "kill or be killed" world, and a reminder of the horrors, of the sacrifices made by people you used to know. Regardless, we have children here, and we have to keep somewhat cheerful for them. Some weird things happened about 5 days ago. I'm not gonna go into great detail, but long story short, we've got a sentient turkey, we all got some hot chocolate for "Saving Christmas", and we also set up a base in San Diego. Yeah, things have been interesting.

I'm afraid I'll have to keep this entry short and cut it here. To all survivors out there, know that you aren't alone, and to pat yourself on the back. You've survived long enough to see the next year.

Still breathing, so I guess I'm still alive,

slejhamR
How do I survive? Easy: Thinking, Conditioning, and Wearing a Bulletproof Vest at ALL Times.

slejhamR

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2015, 12:40:02 PM »
March 7th, 2015

Wow, it really has been a while since I made a note, hasn't it? I suppose things have been a little busier lately, what with the new survivors coming to town and all. The past few weeks have been both crazy and eventful, what with the RPG and the alliance of Lig.

Let's start at the beginning: It was late January, and we came upon a fairly well fortified farm. The thing was, instead of being shot on sight, the kind lady holding an AK to my head asked if I was willing to trade Harvey for something "Special". When I asked for more details, they brought out an RPG, never fired, and loaded with 10 missiles. They promised they'd take good care of Harvey if I decided to take their offer; needless to say, we took the deal, and Harvey is now living in good health, and we're still waiting to test out our new toy.

Next, we had an incident with one of those crazy people; the ones who like killing so much, they make weapons just for gruesome ways to kill. This guy gave me what he called the "Gatorshot", a double barreled sawed off shotgun with a gator pro blade welded to the end. I got the "privelage" to test out this weapon, and I was impressed. However, something about this guy just didn't seem right. Maybe it was the kindness, maybe the wall of still animated Zed heads, or maybe the fact that he had someone locked under the floorboards, but I killed him. That guy wasn't right in the head, and needed to be put down.

And now for the last exciting piece of news: Lig is now a hotspot for survivors. I counted 10 other small factions in town. At first, we were worried that civil war would arise, as it always does, but not this time. Right now, we're all allied to protect our home from outsiders at all costs. It's an anarchy: no government, but an alliance of survivors on an equal playing field, all fighting to defend our home. This just shows that humanity still has the chance to rise from the ashes of this hell, as strangers become friends willing to fight and die for each other's safety. This is the true beginning of western revival, one small town at a time.

Well, I think I've caught you all up on the happenings, so I'll leave you with this note. To all friendly survivors, we're rebuilding the world, and encourage you to do the same. To hostile survivors, know that you won't get my town, not if me and the other 17 factions in the valley have a say in the matter.

Stay safe and keep your blades sharp,

slejhamR
How do I survive? Easy: Thinking, Conditioning, and Wearing a Bulletproof Vest at ALL Times.

Tiaximus

• Dog Sled
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2015, 09:44:08 PM »
An excerpt from what looks like a spiral notebook, the pages hastily torn out and then stapled together before being push-pinned into the board:

"...again.  It's not fun having to come up with new ideas for toilet paper. 

February 12, 2015

It's been a few days after my daughter's birthday.  I still celebrate it, remember her for the cute, vibrant two year old she was.  She'd be four now.  She deserved better.  I thought she deserved better.  They all did, the kids.  Still keeping things together as best as I can, but the words... I saw them again today.  Always the same words, bright red spray paint.  I never see the culprit, but everywhere I go, everywhere I've been, there they are...

February 15th, 2015

Drove eighty, maybe ninety miles east of Vale, today.  Stopped at a few rest stops--nothing new, same old scene.  Found a few pecan patties still wrapped up in plastic.  I thought that was just a Texas thing, but apparently they do that here, too.  I was feeling a little better about myself, all things considered.  I hadn't even seen the words since I left Vale... but even out here, in the middle of nowhere, there they are.  Bright red, all across the side of an old 7-11.  I... don't know, I think I'm losing my cool.  Maybe I'm imagining it.  Maybe it's stress, or sleep deprivation finally strangling the few good cells I haven't cooked with alcohol and junk food.  Meh, I'll keep moving.

February 24th, 2015

My god, I nearly hit a little boy today.  Ran right out in front of the car.  Is it wrong that the first thing I thought was, "This is a trap, you're better off running him over..." ?  Ugh, I missed him and didn't stop.  Went straight through the next town, too, in case they had cars.  Hell, maybe it was just a kid, but not these days.  No one is unarmed, not even a little boy.  But that's not what has my nerves shot today... I mean, I'm nearly to the edge of Louisiana now, by the map.  There's no way I should be seeing this again, but there it is.  In bright red letters.  I don't even know how he wrote it up there, on the side of that building... it's got to be four stories tall, no windows... ugh, I think I'm getting a headache. 

February 27th, 2015

Okay, this is just got to be some kind of joke.  I kicked up a toilet lid and there it was.  In red sharpie.  I'm going nuts.  Just plain fucking nuts.

March 6th, 2015

Oh god, I woke up today, and there it was.  THERE IT WAS.  Right over my HEAD.  The paint was still WET.  I have to hide, find somehere safe.  He's following me, I know it now.  There is no way someone can be in all of those places at once--this is someone's sick idea of a joke.  It HAS to be...  or I really am batshit insane.

March 8th, 2015

HE WROTE IT IN MY JOURNAL.  THIS MAKES NO SENSE"

The rest of the journal devolves into madness.  On the last pages, written over and over in red sharpie, are the same words.

JIM WAS HERE
Have a question?  It might have already been answered.  Check:  http://forums.mongadillo.com/index.php?topic=268.0

Hojohns

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2015, 03:54:33 AM »
An excerpt from what looks like a spiral notebook, the pages hastily torn out and then stapled together before being push-pinned into the board:

"...again.  It's not fun having to come up with new ideas for toilet paper. 

February 12, 2015

It's been a few days after my daughter's birthday.  I still celebrate it, remember her for the cute, vibrant two year old she was.  She'd be four now.  She deserved better.  I thought she deserved better.  They all did, the kids.  Still keeping things together as best as I can, but the words... I saw them again today.  Always the same words, bright red spray paint.  I never see the culprit, but everywhere I go, everywhere I've been, there they are...

February 15th, 2015

Drove eighty, maybe ninety miles east of Vale, today.  Stopped at a few rest stops--nothing new, same old scene.  Found a few pecan patties still wrapped up in plastic.  I thought that was just a Texas thing, but apparently they do that here, too.  I was feeling a little better about myself, all things considered.  I hadn't even seen the words since I left Vale... but even out here, in the middle of nowhere, there they are.  Bright red, all across the side of an old 7-11.  I... don't know, I think I'm losing my cool.  Maybe I'm imagining it.  Maybe it's stress, or sleep deprivation finally strangling the few good cells I haven't cooked with alcohol and junk food.  Meh, I'll keep moving.

February 24th, 2015

My god, I nearly hit a little boy today.  Ran right out in front of the car.  Is it wrong that the first thing I thought was, "This is a trap, you're better off running him over..." ?  Ugh, I missed him and didn't stop.  Went straight through the next town, too, in case they had cars.  Hell, maybe it was just a kid, but not these days.  No one is unarmed, not even a little boy.  But that's not what has my nerves shot today... I mean, I'm nearly to the edge of Louisiana now, by the map.  There's no way I should be seeing this again, but there it is.  In bright red letters.  I don't even know how he wrote it up there, on the side of that building... it's got to be four stories tall, no windows... ugh, I think I'm getting a headache. 

February 27th, 2015

Okay, this is just got to be some kind of joke.  I kicked up a toilet lid and there it was.  In red sharpie.  I'm going nuts.  Just plain fucking nuts.

March 6th, 2015

Oh god, I woke up today, and there it was.  THERE IT WAS.  Right over my HEAD.  The paint was still WET.  I have to hide, find somehere safe.  He's following me, I know it now.  There is no way someone can be in all of those places at once--this is someone's sick idea of a joke.  It HAS to be...  or I really am batshit insane.

March 8th, 2015

HE WROTE IT IN MY JOURNAL.  THIS MAKES NO SENSE"

The rest of the journal devolves into madness.  On the last pages, written over and over in red sharpie, are the same words.

JIM WAS HERE

Ha ha I loved reading this one
Take a cookie and enjoy Tiax you earned it
Don't bury dead, first shoot in head (Diary of the Dead)

bone_breaker

• If you don't have armor, find some.
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2015, 03:27:45 AM »
           It's been more than a year since I first left the bunker, and I'm starting to think we may actually survive this. We, my group and myself, have set up an efficient and self sustaining settlement. We've got several strongholds to cover some territory and keep the zeds from overrunning the area, and we are also receiving a steady supply of supplies each day. We've got armed patrols making sure that the perimeters aren't breached, each with one attack dog to alert them of any potential danger. Life here is pretty good compared to those first days of the outbreak.....the utter chaos that plagued the city and its inhabitants.....

Thankfully, those days are gone, but it doesn't mean that everything is going back to normal, not by a long shot. Even though we've set up a safe zone, we've still got to deal with rival survivors and the hordes. I'd rather not kill another survivor if possible, but if they won't listen to reason I'll do what is necessary. As for the hordes, we occasionally leave the base and take out a horde, but there are just too many zeds. By nightfall another horde has formed, another threat that needs to be dealt with at a later date.

Our group is pretty stable as it is, the group is cooperative with one another and all of them pull their weight. There are two significant divisions within the group though.  The first being the civilians, the ones who were pretty lucky to have made it this far. Although they've shown me that they can hold their own in combat, it would've been hard to believe that they would ever make it this far, at least without help. Some people have just not adapted to this world, and many of them don't survive. But some do, and they're just stuck living in a world that they don't belong in.

The second group is made up of survivors, fighters and survivors. These men and women who can survive in a world like this, those who have adapted to a world like this. I've found a lot of these people, and they're incredibly useful when in combat. Many of them are ex-military though, so they have little patience for incompetence. That being said, the two groups work well together. Together we've been able to set up a safe zone for any survivor that chooses to come here, but that doesn't mean we won't be cautious about who's allowed to go in. And if anyone dares to attack this sanctuary, they'd better be ready for a fight.

FERGUSON

• I am become death; destroyer of worlds.
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2015, 06:49:44 PM »
Day one above ground. Claimed a stronghold and stashed ALL of my loot in there. I accidentally pressed "leave unclaimed" after fortifying. EVERYTHING I HAD is gone.... So I ran from place to place building up a mob of biters and duked it out man to (undead) man. Punched uncle zed in the face. Took one with me.

I find it funny that, as a shambler, I still have the mental capacity to keep this journal... Sorry about the blood on the page.
And though I walk in the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for the Lord is my shepherd, and he provided me with 17 NPCs; I shall not want.

BladeSanity

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2015, 11:09:40 PM »
Day 46

Well, we had a mother of two come in front of our gates where we fortified a base at my neighborhood. Her name was Petra, and the sight was very much depressing. She and the children looked thin, as if they didn't eat for days. Dave and I quickly rushed to the gate and took them in, while Arthur continued to keep watch. I've always trusted Arthur, since he was my sparring buddy at the local gym before all this went down. We went back inside our living quarters, and got some food and water for Petra and her little ones. For kids so young, I'm surprised they kept it together so well, especially with what's out there. Petra herself seems to be a very tough woman, and straight away offered to take the first night shift for security. I fashioned her with a nice tactical AR-15, which I actually found that day searching a restaurant, whereupon I ran into a group of men that were armed, the supposed leader holding this deadly weapon. I killed the man, with one stroke of my katana. I didn't think, I just did it. He dropped dead after, and my dog went for the next holding an assault rifle. He drops right away, with an open wound in his throat. The last two were dealt with by me, where I quickly beheaded the one holding a handgun and my dog pouncing on the one holding a machete. The thought hit me when I wrote this. Were those people like me? Desperate, hungry,  and struggling? What if those guys had families? To this day, I struggle to find a meaning for all of this, the meaning of surviving, the meaning of living.

bone_breaker

• If you don't have armor, find some.
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2015, 07:16:49 AM »
588 days above ground

We kicked Jim out of our group a couple days ago. He didn't pass the test, which is how we choose who gets in and who doesn't, and surprisingly he's the only one so far who has. We test people to see if they're loyal, work well in the group and respect one another. When he first appeared I already knew his history with Van, so I kept him around and let Victor keep an eye on him, to see if he had changed. As you can probably tell, he hasn't. We tested him by sending him, Van, and Jackie on a "supply run"(Jackie and Van knew about the test).  Jackie led them to an area where we knew a small herd of zeds were. Once they arrived they tried to fight them off. Both Jackie and Van fell to give the impression that they were being overrun and asked for his help. Now this is something I would find is hard for anyone, and if someone would die trying to save one of us, we would let ourselves die instead of bringing the two of us down. This test wasn't to see if he would have helped or not, that didn't matter, what mattered was the way he did it. You can see a lot about a persons character based on this test, it shows what a person is really like when faced under pressure. Jim just looked down at her and looked disgusted, and then ran. We brought Van along because even though she has improved in her melee skills, she's still our weakest fighter, and we needed to see what Jim would do in that scenario since we know he looks at her as incompetent and weak. Van understood our intentions and agreed to go along with it, wanting to know if he had changed. Well, she got her answer. They both got up and fought off the walkers. Thaddeus and Keegan who were on stand by, just in case the test had gone wrong, helped kill the rest. When we got back to base we kicked Jim out, having to use our guns to leave peacefully. Morale in the group was definitely one of the lowest I had seen in a while on that day, but we did find 2 more survivors after that who did join up with us.

I've hired a mercenary that I found at one of the survivor camps, guy named Jones. He had a lot of spare ammo to give and 2 grenades. I also managed to get a pass on the trains to New Orleans, so I decided to bring him along with me. Found one of those Mardi Gras masks on the way into the city. Looked cool enough so I kept it as a souvenir of my time there. While searching through a cemetery for supplies I saw a funeral group moving in carrying a casket. I went up to them and talked to them. Not long after gun fire erupted as another group came in. After the battle ended, the other group, the krewe as they called themselves, were victorious. I followed them to a place where there they began to pray, and then told me to leave, or else. I decided to leave, I try not to fight if I don't have to.

While leaving the city I heard the sound of an accordion being played. I followed it to a run down bar, where a couple of dead zeds had been killed outside of it. I tried to find a back door, instincts you know, and tried to break it down when i found it. That was a mistake, cause I got shot pretty bad. Still hurts now, even after getting fixed up when I got back. The man that just shot me introduced himself, saying his name was Richie. He's quite a friendly guy who still had a happy spirit about him, though that could be due to all the drinks he's had. After apologizing about the door he invited me in for a drink. He poured out some red liquid into two cups, took one, said some words I could not understand, and drank. I was hesitant at first, having had bad experiences in the past in what type of food was being served and where it came from. He seemed displeased about me not drinking, not angry, but saddened. Normally I would have cut and bolted, but while I was on the train I did hear about him from other passengers, heard some pretty good things about him too. And from what I had gathered from his personality, he seemed like an ok guy. So I drank the red liquid, and I have to admit, it was pretty good. He asked if I would consider letting him join up with me, at which I said yes. He grabbed his belongings and we headed out to catch the next train back to the safe house. We got back a day later and Richie has definitely had a good affect on the group, boosting the morale of every member of the group.

We all have good and bad days, and in the future we'll definitely still get some bad days from time to time. But you just have to deal with it and live on, cause this world isn't changing any time soon, and you've just got to appreciate every good day you can get.

TheSurvivor

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2015, 04:04:53 PM »
Everyone has been getting along lately, Thaddeus and Kaori are impossible to seperate, Keegan takes care of Hayden and gabby like they are his own children, and Dave and Omar are good friends.

This afternoon, I was in cave creek. I was driving down the street in my humvee.i spotted an old biker bar, I decided to check it out and managed to get inside. Five minutes later, bikers are around there and I am forced to start shooting my way out. It was just me and Omar doing border patrol. After we shot everyone, we searched them. I still can't believe one of them was holding onto 9 40mm grenades, and another was holding onto 3. It was an amazing find.

We are getting ready to send a search party out for more survivors, I will post updates every few days.

Shashou

• You must be efficient, effective and flexible.
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2015, 07:09:57 AM »
Its been nearly two weeks since I've left the bunker,Thankfully I found one of my friends and we have been able to make a group in our city. The days are long and the lights restless, the first few days I nearly got myself killed;and I thought I was fully prepared for the apocalypse, heh I know how wrong I was now. We have searched basically about 75% of the city, thankfully its a small city so the amount of the rotters is smaller than most, though all the more painful as I see some of the undead that look familiar. Thankfully we have enough munitions to take on the bandits that come to try to pillage our area, its amazing what one Springfield M1A can do to a bunch of bikers, I've named mine "Nanasaki". I've put notes and signs to our location in hope more people will come, my friend just says that it will bring more raiders, but even if it does there will be people who are in need that we can help.Plus having a few more hands with guns in them is  a good thing. I've heard though the radio we have set up that migrations of zombies have been spotted, I hope we have enough traps and weapons to deal with something like that...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 07:38:03 AM by Shashou »
Who needs a modern assault rifle when I have my trusty Mauser K 98K bolt action!

Shashou

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2015, 05:08:36 PM »
Well I guess this will be my second entry. We decited to try to see if that fortress looking building was empty since it looked abandoned; we were wrong, very wrong. Thankfully we got out of there alive, I came back looking like swiss cheese though whatever that rifle was shooting at us it was almost silent an I want one.

*There was another entry on the back of the paper* 
What a haul! we found two amazing weapons today. One is this sniper looking rifle, it looks to be built off a AR15 platform and has a fully integrated suppressor. The second is a Rocket launcher I got for trading a turkey at a farm.I got the turkey after I saved it after a group of people who killed this man, poor guy.  Now I'm sort of hoping a groups of raiders comes in a car so we can test this baby out!
*the entry ends there,you'd look around at the desolate fortifications "I guess it couldn't hurt to read another" you thought to yourself as you turned to the next page of the note book*
Who needs a modern assault rifle when I have my trusty Mauser K 98K bolt action!

Shashou

« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2015, 08:52:56 PM »
*Next page*
Today is a sad day, we lost one of our own. I suggested that we go in to the city too see if we could tap out anymore supplies before we had to go out of town, and a few volunteered, Kaori,Thaddeus, and omar. We decided to go into this theater that caught my eye, no one has gone in there before and it was boarded up. I thought there might be some good supplies thine there so we managed to squeeze through the small opening. The first thing that hit us was the smell; ohh it was god awful, we found out why there were bodies of what looked like military personnel there. After looking through we got a large amount of good military hardware including a M60 Machine gun. After we searched the lobby we went to search in the bathroom, there was quiet a strange sight a dead body holding a hand grenade. I tried to find the pin for it but to no avail so I did the next best thing, I threw it out into one of the hallways and closed the door. After the explosion there was a few seconded of silence then a large roar, we looked out of the door way to our horror, a large hoard of zombies. We tried to gun down as many as we could but there were just too many. We ran to the lobby and tried to escape, but before we could squeeze through they caught up to us. They first came in small waves, probably since all of them were being funneled by the hallway but eventually the numbers started to pile up. As I was reloading one of them grabbed on to Omar, still in shock I fumbled with the magazine of my gun until finally I was able to pull back the bolt. I finally raised my rifle to shoot the zombie but then, my body froze I don't know why either my brain was saying to pull the trigger and kill the rotter but my hand wouldn't move. I watched as he was eaten alive screaming for help after a few more seconded my body finally started to move and I began firing back at the hoard after the next few shots Thaddeus had pulled me from under the boards, we we're safe and ran as far away as we could from that death trap. After we got to the fortress as most of the group called it, though I called it Stalingrad since if we were ever attacked by a hoard like that we probably wouldn't be getting out of that place. I had time to rest and think, what happened out there? I tried to help but I froze up and let Omar die. A few people asked where Omar was and both Kaori and Thaddeus explained, I sat there wondering what happened. If something like that is hiding in the theater, then there're probably are more places like that and we are sitting on a time bomb waiting to explode. Even if that it the case I wont let Omar's death be in vain. We are getting out of this town alive and that is final.
*the entry ends there, thinking back the theater was completely leveled to the ground last you walked past there. With that in mind you turned the next paged continuing to read from the old tattered note book*