Author Topic: Suggestions / Wish list  (Read 220173 times)

benstrikesback

Suggestions / Wish list
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:49:25 AM »
First off, love the game -- such a great time playing this. There's nothing like running errands on purpose to just to find out new places to explore. I've been suggesting / buzzing about this game on Facebook / Twitter / this, that, and the other, so hopefully it'll spread around. A great game like this deserves plenty of attention. Anywho.
I just wanted to set this topic up as a suggestion / wish list since the developers are so heavily invest in the gaming community. It's great seeing a forum with its developers so in touch with their fans. So, maybe we could contribute back with ideas for the further development of the game.

I just have two suggestions at this point -- I think a stackable inventory window would be great, at least for the bottom row of items. Maybe instead of the same icon taking up multiple spaces (ex. having three magnum icons with 15 rounds each), a simple x2, x3, x4, etc. would work. I feel as if it could definitely clean up a lot of space for other items.

Another suggestion -- maybe an option to create a shelter / survivor base at your home location. You could pin it at whatever GPS location you are at, at the time. For example -- I could set up my apartment as my main location, thus tagging my location. I could use this location to store items, regain health at a double rate (as opposed to regaining health at a normal rate elsewhere), and to maybe use the HAM radio to help with story progression. Moving your shelter should be possible, but should definitely take an amount of resources to do, or at least a difficult challenge.

Again, just little suggestions -- fantastic game so far, can't wait to see how it all turns out!

EDIT: Just saw in another topic that safehouses / bunkers are coming -- yesssss.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:51:24 AM by benstrikesback »
--
Got a question? Message me.

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
  • "Rule number 4: Double Tap"
    • ZDAYNow
Re: Suggestions / Wish list
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:17:37 AM »
Thanks Ben, I definitely appreciate all that feedback, and the positive vibes are great.  launching a game like this is so hard, because there's really no model for it, we have had to make everything from scratch. 

As for inventory, yes, handling inventory has actually been one of our biggest hurdles from a UI standpoint.  We do have stackable items on the list of "to-dos", and its actually coming sooner rather than later.   We wanted to get a basic inventory system working well first before trying to implement any advancements.  But we are planning exactly what you and someone else suggested, which is stackables (multiples represented by one tile) as well as what I call "Container objects" like duffle bags and backpacks, which can contain a certain number of items and be saved and loaded to quickly change an entire load out, kind of like having your "go bag" at the ready.

Please use this forum as much as you like, I am trying to stay on top of questions and I will continue to do so, I appreciate all your help with promo.  Thanks again and happy hunting!

Ed
Bring on The Dead

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
    • ZDAYNow
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:19:41 AM »
Also, I moved this message to a new topic, "Wish List".  Thanks Ben.

E
Bring on The Dead

Allaestre

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 09:59:43 AM »
Randomized event challenge? Instead of in order.
Since after so many reset it really becoming very linear.

Maybe divide them into levels?
Level 1 challenges level, 2 challenges, etc
Let's say there're 50 lvl1 challenges and to get harder challenges you'll need to finish 20 level 1 challenges
After you get to level 2 you can get a randomized challenge from lvl 1 or 2.

Important challenges that is a keypoint for the stoyline can be fixed, but the rest where you find a truck with stuff in it doesn't really need to happen in a fix order/time.

With this in the future you guys can just write up new challenges and throw them in the pool with appropriate level challenges.

I know there're hiddens challenges built in like the church, subway, etc but I feel that I just need more.
I also know asking this is almost an impossible feat since it'll require you guys to do major changes to the game. Doesn't hurt to ask ;(

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
    • ZDAYNow
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 10:29:30 AM »
If you are referring to the "prelude", yes, thats linear, because it's meant to be.  Although there are several paths through it, you always have to end up in the bunker, thats how the game is designed.   

You are an early adopter, but you will see that we have leveled gameplay, as you level up, challenges will become harder. 

As for wanting "more" there's a lot, and more every day.  I would also add that Survivor Z was designed to mimic the real world, and if you tend to stay in one location, you will tend to discover fewer things.  This is just as would happen in real life.  And if you live in a rural area, you are exposed to less of the population, including the undead population. 

I do like your idea of randomizing the non-location based content (post prelude) and will bring it up at the next meeting. 

Thanks, keep 'em coming,
Ed
Bring on The Dead

Allaestre

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »
I'm not asking for a harder challenge or more content actualy. When I say "more" it's for a more unexpected turn of events.
The challenges I'm talking about are the one after pre-lude.
I resets plenty of times to know that the challenges are in order. To the point that I know the challenge order up to the better bar.

I know that isn't that far, since I kept on restarting because of the inventory bug (which I just learned on how to retrieve the item lost....).

Thanks for hearing me out though ^^

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
    • ZDAYNow
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 12:48:24 PM »
Actually I get what you're saying, and we have discussed it internally, and actually think it's a good idea.  We never really thought of it from a standpoint of frequent restarts.  We will implement this change, because it makes sense.  Thanks for your suggestion. 

Ed
Bring on The Dead

Renter

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 09:08:17 AM »
This is a suggestion for introducing barter between players. Maybe this can work, maybe it won't.

I'm feeling rich right now with more guns than I can carry, more armor than I can wear, plenty of shells, food, water, duplicates of some other items.

I expect that in a year from now I'll be starving. I don't even have enough food and water for a year, and the horde I've amassed in the first few levels ain't gonna last. That's what I imagine is in all our futures.

Not having a "merchant" in game is the correct decision I think. I like the challenge that introduces, and it isn't realistic anyway. But would barter add something to the game?

Barter can be exploited to concentrate powerful items in the hands of a few very active players, and it may ease the challenge of surviving in this game. Worse, game play could become driven by bartering and obtaining items, rather than driven by survival the way it is now at this early stage. It could also ruin one of the present challenges, which is having the right tool or item to solve a particular challenge. Bring in barter, and unless you implement rules about encumbrance, pretty much anyone can always be carrying one of every item in the game, no matter how rare. People can also make alts and pass items between them, cheat in that way.

Still, It could be fun to swap items with other players, and it could add to the feel of a post-apocalyptic economy. Perhaps limit the scale of barter in order to prevent it from getting out of control. Limiting the scale of bartering geographically could also be good, so that you have to really be in range with a player to barter with them (maybe even in the same location? How's that for realism!!).

Lastly, if my suspicion is correct and we're all going to get poorer rather than richer as the game progresses, barter might keep some of us alive a little longer. It could feed into the story too - some items needed to solve challenges could only be obtained by barter, or people in cities might need items that only rural areas have, and so forth.

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
    • ZDAYNow
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 01:09:20 PM »
All this is coming, and is already well under way.  You have described it almost perfectly. 

Ed
Bring on The Dead

Jacketman

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 05:40:17 PM »
I love the idea of player/player interaction... especially the idea of walking into a church/office/gas station where another person happens to be scavenging.

Also, depending upon how far you want to go... many of these renewable resource concepts are fairly easy to create in-game.  A salt mine can mean a source of renewable food (jerky); a Sulfur, charcoal, manure source can mean renewable gunpowder, and on, and on.

This can get pretty in-depth if you're not careful.

Jakeowen

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 12:52:44 AM »
First off love LOVE the game it's awesome addicting and just plain fun! That being said I am also having the stuff disappearing problem  :( and I also don't live near anything so I can't play at home because there's nothing to search! I did like how the beginning of the game started where I could search and still find stuff but now it just keeps searching and not finding anything but over all just a fantastic game great work!

Niobium

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 11:34:27 AM »
A place collector mode.

A semi game mode, so you can move around freely and come up with new places and then visit them when you have some time on your hands. A map with a scratch lottery type design.

Keep up the good work!

Hindle92

• Just your neighbourhood zombie slayer.
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 01:02:03 PM »
it would be nice to be able to return to your bunker. And maybe store items and food in there.

My inventory is majorly full with alot of items. Like multiple lighters and motorcycle helmets.
just your neighbour Zombie slayer!

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
    • ZDAYNow
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »
I have a small fortune in lighters too.  But yes, strongholds and safe houses are included in the feature map, coming soon. 

Whats the difference between a safe house and strong hold you ask? 

A safe house is a place that you have cleared and secured, and deposited some inventory items into, a kind of "fall back position, if you will.  Safe houses are secured, so there can never be infected inside, but are unguarded, so once PvP is enabled, other players may be able to find and take your stuff without your knowing it. 

Strongholds are the same as above, but are guarded by NPCs the player "assigns" to guard duty.  If a rival player tries to take a stronghold, the player will be notified he is under attack, and can choose to defend himself/herself. 

Also, all players will have the opportunity to create one unguarded "Stronghold", this would typically be your home base (bunker) but can be located anywhere you like (at your office, wherever).  Better to reduce the risk of detection by locating it somewhere remote, as opposed to the middle of a crowded city or urban area.       
Bring on The Dead

Hindle92

• Just your neighbourhood zombie slayer.
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 03:31:49 PM »
That sounds amazing. Maybe i can have a safehouse full of lighters in case i choose to become an arsonist.
just your neighbour Zombie slayer!