Author Topic: The Survivor Z World Atlas Project  (Read 17875 times)

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
The Survivor Z World Atlas Project
« on: December 28, 2013, 08:49:48 PM »
Survivor Z World Atlas Project

Greetings Survivors and welcome to the Survivor Z World Atlas Project, a player created effort to expand on the apocalyptic world we know and love, and to connect with other survivors in your local area.

In the spirit of the "Tell me about where you live" threads that Ed created to add flavor to the game, I want you to tell me about how the Apocalypse went down in your local area and I'll create and maintain a map that will document survivor and infected movements, notable groups and locations and serve as a sort of timeline for the game.

Some things to keep in mind in regards to this project:

1: No Spoilers: In keeping with the rules of the forums, please do not post any encounter spoilers. This includes locations where to find specific encounters and how to beat them, as well as where to acquire npcs or any other ingame materials. This thread is meant to focus on the players, not the gameplay. There are other threads available for that. You can reference events that have happened to you personally in the game, but please don't ruin them for those who have yet to find them.

2: Keep it Civil: Just because we're in an apocalyptic world doesn't mean we can't be nice to each other. Likewise please keep complaints/questions about the game to their properly designated areas.

3: Please Don't Plagiarize: As tempting as it would be to post an excerpt from World War Z describing the Battle of Yonkers, or wax poetic on the Rage Virus from 28 Days please remember that those are copyrighted works that belong to other authors and don't actually have any baring on the lore of Survivor Z. We have a fresh new zombie filled world to play with so have fun with it, but try to keep it original.

Other then that feel free to let your imaginations run wild. How do you live day to day? Tell me about your theories about how ZDay happened, share a particularly harrowing encounter that you narrowly escaped from. Most importantly tell me about where you are from! What happened to the cities and population in your area? Was it total chaos? Or did people put aside their differences and band together to stem the Undead tide? Are you facing the wasteland alone? Or have you found a group you can count on and are slowly rebuilding civilization one stronghold at a time?

(All work in the project was not done by myself. Loclif has provided the text and art with this thread)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 08:54:33 PM by god »

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
Re: The Survivor Z World Atlas Project
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 08:51:39 PM »

The Maps:
These are created with information that was freely posted by the player base about their local areas either here on the forums, or on the Facebook page. I will never post any information gained from a third party source, nor will any of that information ever be sold or shared outside of the context of these maps. Additionally to prevent anyone from gaining an unfair advantage, the maps will never be labeled with local names or locations, and are meant to indicate the general presence of players in an area, not pinpoint their exact location for hunters. If you want to find them then you will have to known your geography.

For the time being I will stick to making the world and continental maps. If there is enough interest from players in a certain area then I will create a localized country map, or in the case of a particularly large population a state or provincial map, but that is as detailed as I will get. All of the maps will be reasonably accurate (to within 50-100 km), but will not contain any location names.

The Map Icons:
Deadzone Icon (Skull): These are zones that I currently have no information about, I don't know if they are overrun with infected or whether there are still survivors are holding out. Feel free to offer theories on these areas as to what you think has happened, but please note that I will use the most relevant information when updating the map. Local players will have first crack at their own lore.
Stronghold Icon (Castle): This indicates that I have confirmed living survivors exist in the area. For security reasons I won't ever label the maps with exact locations, but the Strongholds will show the region of the world they are in within about a 50-100 km radius, give or take.
Infected Icon (Bloody Claw): This indicates the presence of Infected in an area and how dense the population is. Used to chart Zombie horde movements across the globe. This is for pure lore reasons and will not have any impact on your local game play. The current markings on the map are drawn from existing player lore and my own theories as to what happened, and will change to reflect the larger picture as more information comes in.
Contested Zone (Hammer and Axe): This indicates that a zone has several players in it that are currently battling for control of the local area. This could be rival groups in different nearby cities, or many lone players in the same city. Who will come out on top?
Overrun Zone (Ruins): Will be used to indicate a significant battle with the Undead, or when a player moves to a new area abandoning their old haunts.

Glowing Icons: Any icons with a glowing outline indicate that there is a significant concentration of it in the immediate area. This could mean anything from many players battling for control of a major hub, to a massive horde of the walking dead moving across the landscape.

Player Organizations:

If there is a group of survivors who have banned together in an area, tell me about it! What are the goals of your group? Where is your territory? (keep it reasonable) Who are your rivals? What kind of group are you? (Bandits? Township? Convenient? etc.)

If your group has an insignia feel free to post it and I will include it on a map of claimed territory (please no copyrighted images). If you would like a group insignia send me (Loclif) a PM and we can talk about creating one for you.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you find this thread useful and more importantly fun! Feel free to contribute, everyone is welcome here.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:10:45 AM by god »

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:11:49 AM by god »

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 08:52:18 PM »
Reserved

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »
Reserved

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »
Reserved

Tstormj215

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 09:31:21 PM »
Sweet.  I have seen the map before and I know it is good.  In the region of Central Massachusetts, my gf and I have teamed up.  Clearing a lot of locations.  I know that when trading becomes available, I will be trading and getting other people to join. Idk about her though.  A small-ish portion of Central MA has been claimed.  In the next month, I will claim an entire Air Force Base, so there is that. 

As for the story:
        The large amount of hospitals in the area took in every patient.  Unfortunately, the patients spread the virus when they turned.  As a result, the zed piled out of the hospitals and claimed the area.  Local Police, State Police, Reservists, Guardsmen, Active Duty Military Personnel, and any able man or woman who had a firearm, banded together as last stand.  Only a small handful of those brave men and women survived. One of the survivors, Tstormj, found his girlfriend hiding out in her house.  Together, they are taking back their homes, one headshot at a time.

irish chevy

• I think I'll miss bacon most of all
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 10:09:42 PM »
Me and one other survivor I have found are slowly taking back the rochester ny area and clearing out as much of the undead as possible. Sharing locations of merchants via stronghold messages. We are looking for any and all friendly survivors to team up and retake what is rightfully ours. The living shale triumph over the dead no matter what it takes any one going thru our territory please feel free to take over what is NOT ours yet in hopes of trying to rebuild what's left of this now burned out husk of a city. Like I always say same sheet different turd. Just so happens this is our sheet theirs!!!  So I ask all in the area to band together and rise up against the hordes and split some skulls.  Like a wise man once said. It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all outa gum. So when you see a fellow suvivor in need don't kick him while he's down. Put a round in the nearest zed head andhp him up. Never know when you might need the help in return.
nothing good can come from living with normal people

All the crafting recipes are on this google doc
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0ApxE69ieWUJTdFZDaW1yQVk3TGVRZmNfM1FuRUY0d2c&usp=sharing

FortunesFaded

• Don't Fear The Reaper
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 10:24:53 PM »
Journal Entry #1:

Nearly one and a half million people were living, breathing, working, and just going through their daily routine before all of this happened. The entire population of New Hampshire felt so safe, so protected by the vast forests guarding the quaint New England towns. I wasn't there to witness what happened next - no, I was lucky enough to get to my shelter in time to wait out the apocalypse. But when I finally emerged, it was pretty clear what had happened. Another survivor confirmed it: Initially, the small, tight knit towns fared quite well against the undead abominations, due to the greater than average supply of firearms in personal possession for most of Central and Northern New Hampshire. Then, apparently, bandits and armed convoys began showing up to the towns under the banner of assistance. Once they were inside, they began their campaigns of torture, rape, murder. One by one the towns were looted and destroyed. That, coupled with the movements of hordes from Quebec and southern New Hampshire into the north of the state effectively wiped out nearly all of the population.

Supposedly southern New Hampshire, home to most of the population, fared much worse from the get-go. The cities became deathtraps, and my guess is that anyone who managed to get out either went south into Massachusetts, or went by boat out onto the ocean. That's what the guy I met up with said he was gonna do - get down there and find a boat. I decided not to go with him, but.. I do hope he made it. Nowadays, one can only hope.

Journal Entry #2:

It's been a hard six months above ground. I've been keeping a count of the days since I've seen another human being; a month and a half, though it would have been longer if not for those looters. I didn't want to kill them, but.. They found my safehouse. They fired on me first and I had no choice. They just.. Wouldn't listen. The pair had next to nothing with them save for their weapons, and their eyes.. They had a look of feral desperation. Fifty days and I still see those eyes staring up at me every time I go to sleep.

I'm going to start packing to take a trip down south, to the seacoast. Perhaps it's better there - like the guy said. Maybe there are others like me. It's the perfect time to do it I suppose; my supplies are high and I've emptied most of the buildings in my area. And it's not like I have anyone else to take care of at home. I'm all alone. The only survivor here, and.. Maybe anywhere.

No, I need to stop thinking like that. The seacoast will be better.

Journal Entry #3:

I. Was. Wrong.

It's even worse down south. The cities - Manchester, Nashua - were burnt husks of death and disease, but I anticipated that. Portsmouth was my destination. The Naval Base could have been my salvation. If I could even get there.

I don't know which were more numerous - the cars blocking all of the roads to the city, or the decaying, living corpses of their former owners. I saw the Base in the distance, but I couldn't get close enough to see if it was still operational. I doubt it. If I were there, I would have cut my losses and went out to sea long ago. I had to settle for the nearby city of Dover. The bay was devoid of any workable vessels, and I didn't see a single other person. But then again, I wasn't able to make it to the Foxrun Mall on the Portsmouth/Dover border. If anyone were to survive down by the seacoast it'd be there. But I didn't want to risk trapping myself inside, should the patrolling hordes detect me. Alas, despite some new equipment and much more supplies, I am still alone.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:16:20 PM by FortunesFaded »
We face a crossroad, never knowing what's in store;
There's an angel on my shoulder,
There's a devil at my door.

Ryguy114

• Survival is more than just being alive.
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 10:48:38 PM »
This is an excellent idea, I live in a city in Texas, near the corner of New Mexico. So, here's the story of Zday in Midlnd, Texas.

Zday could not have happened at a worse time for this changing city, an economic boom was drawing people in by the thousands, but the infrastructure had not yet had time to adjust. The news of the virus had arrived long before the actual disease had. Some people spent thousands of dollars on equipment and food stockpiles in preperation, others did nothing. About 3 weeks after the first news reports of zed, the first undead were found in Midland, a couple in their apartment. They were killed (again) and disposed of without further infection. This incident sparked panic, there were many false reports of infected individuals, a general distrust took root in the scared citizens. For about a week there were no more known incidents, but the nearby city of Odessa was begining to see the first signs of outbreak. Midland police and medical teams were sent to Odessa to assist in slowing the infected. The Midland hospital took in patients from Odessa, many of whom were bitten. Soon the hospital was at capicity, and waiting rooms filled with infected, and eventually, undead. People who were bitten hid their bites for fear of being killed by their fellow citizens out of fear and panic. When word got out that undead were spilling out from the hospital, people rioted, looters and scared citizens all took to the streets at once. With many personell still in Odessa, there weren't enough recources to deal with the undead, let alone the rioters. Even in their miniscule numbers, the undead were able to wreak havoc thanks to the chaos around them. Thousands were bitten during the rioting, while vigilante groups executed the bitten they could find, almost all escaped to their homes, where they turned. Eventually the riots dispursed and everyone went home, many to prepare for leaving. The next day, almost the whole surviving population, bitten and non-infected, attempted to leave the city. The massive number of cars far surpassed the ablity of the roads to move them, and it took hours to even reach the interstate. Alerted by the sound of engines, undead poured out of homes in huge numbers. When they reached the major roads, people did everything they could to escape in a massive free for all, but only succeeded in making it harder to escape. Some people became trapped in their cars, most fled on foot, nearly all were killed or bitten. Now it was almost a matter of time untill nearly the whole city was undead, less than 2 weeks since the first undead appeeared, the city was lost to zed. Most of the survivors (mostly individuals), found their way home, and attempted to dig in and wait it out. When food and water ran out, they were forced to leave their homes, the first scavengers. Originally, nearly all survivors were hostle to one another, occasionally banding together for a common goal, but permanent groups were rare. Now, over a year since Zday, an alliance of many small groups is attempting to reclaim the city, and is even securing strips of the interstate outside of the city. There are quarrels between groups occasionally, but overall, there is little inter-fighting. The group still encounters lone survivors who are hostile towards them, and handles them with little tollerance. With diligent fighting and teamwork, the city of Midland may one day become a beacon of hope to a forsaken world, but untill that day comes, survivors will work hard to secure the city peice by peice.
It doesn't matter how strong you are, mentally or physically, how brave or quick witted, this world will be the end of all of us. This just isn't something that a species survives through, this is our extinction.

daxil

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 01:35:45 AM »
Auto-analyses of a survivor in Brownsville,Texas,the southern most part of the country.

I was always ready,a prepper. People called me crazy for it.While my peers went to the mall and bought clothes I stocked on food and water on my bunker.Sometimes I question if I was making a mistake...but then it happened...My preparedness help me survive this far...as far as I know I am the only survivor in the city(I am not including npc survivors).I have scouted 75% of the city and made strongholds in key locations all around. I have enough food and water for 3 months and locations to loot are running low. In one of my encounters I found a journal that indicated another survivor might be in the city (a friend of mine is interested in the game) but that is just speculation. once I run out of food and locations to loot I do not know what to do. I am alone but the city is practically mine. No rivals,just a city full of the undead...My strongholds will survive and anyone who comes is welcome to join me.

-The outcast survivor Daxil.
Soldier,assassin,engineer,farmer,leader...Survivor!

Loclif

• Mapping the apocalypse, one survivor at a time.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 02:16:22 AM »
These are awesome! I'll update the maps accordingly soon. The quality of writing also gives me another idea I'm going to test out, I'll post it when it's ready for feedback.

For those of an artistic bent who want to try their hands at creating their own maps or player insignias and need something better then MS Paint to do it www.pixlr.com is a powerful free online browser based imaging editor that I used to create the original atlas map, before I touched the current version up in photoshop.

I can also make several recommendations for good free photo editors for mobile devices and tablets.

If anyone wants some assistance in creating an image feel free to send me a pm and I'll be happy to help. If your having trouble finding inspiration one of the best sources of royalty free images on the internet (ie: public domain) can be found here: http://www.heraldicclipart.com/

If you'd like me to put something together for you, send me a pm with a quick description and a link to any images you would like included, and I'll create a design when I have a free moment, as long as the demand doesn't become overwhelming.

Keep the stories coming folks, let's make this undead world a lively one!

-asdf-

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 05:34:07 AM »
Sydney, Australia -

Sydney was relatively unscathed by the initial wave of the virus, despite the vast urban setting. Then food began to run out. People were going scavenging to find resources for their group, and they weren't coming back. If you had a well stocked bunker, you may have been able to survive, but even that doesn't last forever. Eventually, everyone has to try to find supplies and risk it all. The majority of the population has been reanimated; there is still a lot of evidence of survivors, but not many actual sightings of survivors. Even then, they are not that friendly. There have been rumors about a civilization for the elite named Woodbury Sclargor (open to suggestions) that is in the making. However, these rumors are still unconfirmed.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:42:28 AM by Sclargor »

Bobulance

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »
What is there to say about Portland Oregon that hasn't already been said? It was a hellhole. The news began reporting on it as activity caused by drugs. Obviously, once the dead started showing up, people realized that the problem was actually a lot larger than a round of bad drugs. People started heading to the city, because that's where the majority of police forces were . The police held out for a while. Heck, I'm sure they lasted a few months even. Eventually, though, some dumbass group thought that the whole zombie deal was only in Portland, and so they blew up the bridges to contain the virus. All but the Hawthorne bridge. The bomb didn't go off on that one. Of course, the Hawthorne became so crowded with abandoned cars that it became useless anyway. People began retreating out into the hills on the west side once things got worse in the city. At one point, a small amount of military resistance arrived, but they were overrun almost immediately. The hills are still filled with survivors, though most of them have spread out into nearby towns like Beaverton. I haven't heard much about the people in east Portland, but I'm willing to bet things are bad there too. Currently, I'm holed up just over the hills in western Portland, in a small neighborhood, only a minute walk from a shopping area. It quiet here, but my supply runs are often complicated by rival survivors. Beaverton has become a war zone. So far, I have counted at least 2 other survivor groups, and it has become a war for territory. In downtown Portland, survivors still frequently go on supply runs. I've counted at least four other survivor groups who make constant supply runs to downtown. Portland has become a quiet warzone. People fight over territory left and right, and the dangers of the undead remains ever present.

norge

Anchorage - Alaska
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »
Anchorage is one of the few places which was spared during the initial outbreak. With its sparse population, an active military population and a single airport for access, the spread was contained significantly. As other cities fell, Anchorage voted in the opening days to initiate full quarantine. Coupled with the freezing temperatures, those who did succumb to the plague were often trapped in the ice and under many feet of snow. The local populace, self-reliant Americans with a large supply of weapons easily dispatched with the initial wave of Zed.
While the quarantine prevented the outbreak from spreading, it cut off Anchorage from food and essential services. Within the first month widespread starvation spread and the city suffered greatly. Groups of hunters pushed further into the wilds in search of game and animals. In an ironic twist, the game wardens rose to power as they provided access to those who could pay to the best hunting areas. Those who refused to pay tribute were themselves hunted or left to starve.

Their power was short lived though, locals soon realized that it took less energy to turn on each other within the cities. Locals, once kind and compassionate, banded together for survival. The outcome was predictable. Downtown Anchorage, without heat or supplies, is now left in ruins. Packs of roving dogs finished off the weaker people before they too starved.

The native population has made a comeback. Time honored traditions have proven successful. Even the whale hunts have resumed, although not surprisingly, animal right group advocates and vegans were the first to die.
What remains are small outposts, manned by strong people who do what they must to survive. Fishermen and hunters mostly, they have learned once again to live off the land. Their small numbers, attest to the limited food available. High walls and fences do little to stop the slow moving walkers who use the snow banks to walk over. It is only a matter of time.

A band of survivors occupies the Army base. We continue to attempt to reestablish communications with the lower 48. We control the armory and are prepared to hold until rations run out. Patrols are sent to clear the local areas, but we are undermanned and they often do not return. We are the sentinels of the north. We stand by for further orders.