Author Topic: Vehicles  (Read 54781 times)

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
  • "Rule number 4: Double Tap"
    • ZDAYNow
Vehicles
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:36:56 AM »
A lot of people have asked me about vehicles in the game, maybe they see the survivors in 'Walking Dead" zipping around in their brand new cars and they wonder "why not me?"  Well I'm here to post a couple of thoughts I have on the subject.
This game premise takes place about one year after the collapse of society and complete loss of infrastructure.  That means that for a year, no power plants are running, no oil refineries are running, no Oil Pipelines are pumping, no gas trucks are delivering, and any surplus gas, from the big refineries right down to the last 1/4 of a tank in every car, moped and motorcycle is sitting, for 1 year, provided it wasn't used up, scavenged or siphoned in that 1 year period. 
So just for the sake of argument, let's say you do find a nice car with a full tank of 1 year old gas.  The keys are in it, the tires have held air, it all looks good.  Jump in and drive right?  I don't think so.  I hate to be a bummer, but have you ever let a car sit for three or four months without trying to start it?  It doesn't start about half the time, the battery is dead.  Well, wait a year, and the chances of that effectively increase ten fold. 
But forget the battery, let's say the car battery ignores the laws of physics.
The gasoline is likely turned to gel, as the volatile ingredients in gasoline evaporate and the solution separates over a fairly short amount of time, (2-3 months).  After a year, the tank is likely filled with what is essentially varnish, and water (from condensation). 

Sorry to be a downer here, but on the bright side, for those of you looking to increase your search range, I am introducing vehicles soon, they are non motorized, but will get you where you're going. 

E     
Bring on The Dead

-asdf-

Re: Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 12:07:45 PM »
Well as for the car battery, we already have that implemented
And with the gasoline, we could still just search for some and keep the realism of others... Such as replacing faulty parts on a car, DayZ style.

KKmainiac

• Today was a good day
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 12:47:35 PM »
Wait a minute we have a choice of bikes or horses?
This world, is an illusion

Death

• I Like Bullets :3
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »
Wait a minute we have a choice of bikes or horses?
scooters, OH and also,ed.......there are such flying airvehicles that require human manpower to get going....we could make that
I Like The Smell Of Zombie Death In The Morning

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 01:54:05 PM »
I concur with Ed. My first car sat in place for a year in my driveway before I could drive it and exactly what he described happened. I agree that it is unrealistic and should not be implemented. It is good to stick to realism as much as possible. 

-asdf-

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
Yes, but we need vehicles for many reasons. Storage for one, searching for another, and I assume there will be a few challenges to get fuel/car parts. It may be unrealistic for some, but for others, who are quite prepared for the apocalypse, they will have supplies to get a car running. If not, you could get a gas generator and charge up an electric car.

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 02:54:18 PM »
Yes, but we need vehicles for many reasons. Storage for one, searching for another, and I assume there will be a few challenges to get fuel/car parts. It may be unrealistic for some, but for others, who are quite prepared for the apocalypse, they will have supplies to get a car running. If not, you could get a gas generator and charge up an electric car.

The largest issue is keeping the fuels integrity. Unless you can produce your own fuel you would be out of luck. Mostly because your car would experience a lot of problems from the old fuel. Electric cars are the only viable option, you would need to fix the battery but after that you could be good to go (I haven't read enough about them to say for sure)

http://ask.metafilter.com/18882/How-long-does-gas-last

There is a good reference to discuss the issues with old fuel. It says it would be ok as long as your car isn't getting old fuel constantly which these cars would in fact be receiving. This is where the whole problem with cars arises. I do not see the need for cars especially when safe houses are in existence.

kelyplm

• "Rule 10: Be Quiet"
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 03:53:04 PM »
Someone made a video about the vehicles in survivor Z, here it is if you wanna watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea4XxAW3YOM
Don't Die Out There.

Rick Grimes

• We Are The Meta
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 04:15:05 PM »
Ed,

Can you tell us how many non motorized vehicles will be put into the game, what one of them will be and how much will the price go up to, to buy one.

Thanks. :)
We Are The Meta
Memory Is The Key
Leonard L. Church

Palringo Alliance

KKmainiac

• Today was a good day
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 05:09:48 PM »
There are alternative fuels for cars I know a guy that modiflies so that they run on grease and olive oil

Bobulance

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »
We have gas cans, car batteries, tire repair kits, and tool kits, but we can't have the actual car? From a gaming standpoint, that just seems a little odd to me. They don't need to be common, but remember that some of the leftover cars were used by survivors during that year, and some may just have been sitting around for a week. Introduce motorized working vehicles, just make them very rare.

KKmainiac

• Today was a good day
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 05:47:59 PM »
I'm fine with the finding of a motor use vehicle being super rare, but I know there will be some kind of mission intro for vehicle and a mission where you get a motor vehicle (you want lots more players don't you, you're sacrificed a lot of realism already). But bikes, skateboards, little scooters should be everywhere   

Rick Grimes

• We Are The Meta
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 01:14:10 AM »
Ed, you say it is very unlikely for there to be a motorized vehicle, but what about the armored van?
We Are The Meta
Memory Is The Key
Leonard L. Church

Palringo Alliance

-asdf-

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 04:09:53 AM »
And The Walking Dead (TV Show). I know that there is probably some lack of realism in the vehichles part of it, but it is an extremely large franchise, so I doubt they would miss out on keeping it realistic by forgetting about the specific mechanics of a car. They cannot get every car, because of lack of maintainence, but they do have a few.

Gighy

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 06:51:30 AM »
Hybrid kind vehicles that can run on water or electricity? I read that somewhere i think