Author Topic: Free Survivor Z?  (Read 19875 times)

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
  • "Rule number 4: Double Tap"
    • ZDAYNow
Free Survivor Z?
« on: June 12, 2013, 04:49:10 PM »
I have really enjoyed writing and designing for Survivor Z.  I wanted to ask all of you, the people who play, if you think that I am crazy in that I want to make the game FREE so that more people will play.  Obviously, I can't afford to write and continue to create if I don't have some money coming in, but if I have to get another gig I will not have time to write.  The catch 22 is, I want it to be free, but I can't afford not to charge for it. 

So here's my solution: 

I will make Survivor Z completely free to download and play.  I continue to write stories, challenges, and encounters, create new game features, and build this RPG out to it's fully realized vision. 

In exchange for this, I will ASK that players who like the game donate to the effort.  We will keep the IAPs in place as they are, but the players will be entirely capable of playing (and competing against each other) for free if they want to.  I will consider a player purchasing an In-App item a donation to us, a way of saying "thanks, I enjoy playing your game, and I support the work you are doing."

So when the next version comes out, we are going to make it free.  We ask that the players who play and enjoy the game donate to help keep us going.  It doesn't take much. 

Cheers, 

Ed
Bring on The Dead

TyMoore

• Rule 23: God Bless Rednecks
Re: Free Survivor Z?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:39:38 PM »
I will restate my consistent and regular objections to IAPs.  As someone who purchased the game when it did not have IAPs, who never buys games that utilize IAPs...
Ummmm.... seriously?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:31:52 PM by TyMoore »
“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.”

-Genocidal Wings-

• -Mirage of Deceit-
  • -Betray all with the Flawed Image-
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 09:23:04 PM »
A lot of people already have 'trouble' forking out the money for the app, and only do so when they realize the game is unplayable otherwise.

I don't think a lot of them would go out of their way to donate... I think the most effective method would be to keep it as is. Of course, it's your game... And your decision.

TyMoore

• Rule 23: God Bless Rednecks
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 09:34:26 PM »
I don't think a lot of them would go out of their way to donate...
I think that the implication is... no new content unless you make IAPs.
No special weapon access unless you make IAPs.
This was my concern when IAPs were first implemented.
A PvP game that implements the purchasing of "lives" through IAP squeezes out casual players who choose not to make IAP purchases.

Based upon the fact that the game will be free-to-play, and is monetized only through in-app purchases, you can bet that IAPs will be a crucial component of the game.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:36:06 PM by TyMoore »
“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.”

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
    • ZDAYNow
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 09:38:11 AM »
So you guys think that the game is unplayable unless you purchase IAPs?  The fact that the game is good is awesome, but from a game developer's perspective, we need more players to be successful. 

"I think that the implication is... no new content unless you make IAPs.
No special weapon access unless you make IAPs.
This was my concern when IAPs were first implemented.
A PvP game that implements the purchasing of "lives" through IAP squeezes out casual players who choose not to make IAP purchases."

This is not the implication at all.  I intend to make the game even MORE casual for players that want to play it that way.  All content, including special weapons and encounters are and will continue to be free and findable in the world.  Making additional content for players that wish to spend a little money or who can't find as much of the location based content because of their remote location seems fair to me, although it may not to those who would have to choose that option. 

Fact is all I want to continue to create new challenges, I want to build an entire world that imagines life in the post apocalypse.  Over the  last few months I have seen that revenue doesn't keep up with production costs, and I want this game to live well beyond the initial development period, so that I can continue to create new stories and challenges after we have reached our "final" version. 

We are still trying to figure this out internally, and I appreciate hearing your thoughts, keep 'em coming.  We are doing a promotion this month that we will be announcing soon, it has to do with some special content written by a very special guy, and is tied to Comic Con San Diego.  We will likely do a "free" trial at that time, to gauge whether or not we are comfortable with the free concept. 

Thanks for listening. 

E
Bring on The Dead

-Genocidal Wings-

• -Mirage of Deceit-
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 11:08:01 AM »
Just to clear things up a bit; I meant that players have trouble forking out money to buy the app, as in, they only seem to do so when they realize the game is unplayable due to the retail shop challenge. Otherwise they probably wouldn't have bought it. Some at least.

I don't mind either way. Choose based on your best interest. I will continue playing when new stuff comes out xD

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
    • ZDAYNow
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 12:38:49 PM »
Oh, I see, so you mean the people that choose to play the cracked version that realize there are things that will kill them if they are playing the "free" cracked version? 

Yea I don't consider those people too much in my thinking. 

Thank you for your support

E
Bring on The Dead

bay

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 12:48:41 AM »
I will restate my consistent and regular objections to IAPs.  As someone who purchased the game when it did not have IAPs, who never buys games that utilize IAPs...

From a personal perspective I must say I completely share Ty's view on IAPs. If you say the implications he made a few posts later are untrue, I believe you without hesitation. I also think your later statement about needing more players to be successful somewhat nullifies this discussion, doesn't it? In the long run, you essentially have no choice but to make it free to play, or otherwise there won't be a game at all for us to enjoy, am I right?

I happily paid for this game (while normally I almost never buy stuff for iOS, no not cracking, just using freeware as much as possible) but I can see the logic in lowering the threshold for newcomers to zero.

MacheteMachete

• Welcome to the Big House! - Interactive Challenge
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 04:42:09 AM »
Ed you mentioned earlier that there is a promotion going on with someone from Comic Con and I believe that may be the road you should really take advantage of. Promotions. There are many apps that update people to a lowering of price, or date and times of the app being on sale or free. App Gratis is one such app. I am unsure whether you are required to split any profits or w.e with them but I believe you may want to look into some very short term promotional stuff through them or some app similar. Also in order to help with content you should look at your writing program again with writers that you have invited to work pro bono in order to see their stories in the app. They write for free, you get content, they feel accomplished, and everyone wins.

Anyway back to the IAP's subject... I can tell you one thing for sure. I always play free apps until I have to buy something. Then it gets deleted. No matter how interesting or hooked I had been previously...

I think you may want to do a series of weekend free downloads or a few weeks of 0.99.

Of course you will do whatever seems right when you make the decision but I think you may be erring with moving to free.
Chop, Chop, let's go!

MackCothran12

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 05:28:07 PM »
So we basically paided for a pay to play game? I mean I really hope it doesn't turn out that way cause I have forked out over 40$ for this game in the past and I'm currently out of cash. I really don't wanna have to let the game go because of spending cash, but I do understand that you need money to keep the game going.

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 08:15:52 PM »
Ed never said they will force you to pay to play. You can if you want (like you did) but you will never be forced to. Do not complain about paying 40$ that is your choice and you can learn from it.

-Genocidal Wings-

• -Mirage of Deceit-
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 08:40:07 PM »
Sorry for asking, but I'm curious. What did you spend 40 bucks on? I hardly find any reason to use 40 bucks on the limited market...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:42:00 PM by -Genocidal Wings- »

Treknishion

• Klaato Barrata Nikto!💀
    • Treknishion Softworks
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 09:13:45 PM »
Probably the $10 IAPs.(those tier 4 purchases add up quick)  ;D
"Good, bad... I'm the guy with the gun."-Ash "The Chosen One" Williams

MackCothran12

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 09:20:02 PM »
A lot of medical surplus.. A lot.