Author Topic: Use of Food & Water  (Read 22012 times)

TyMoore

• Rule 23: God Bless Rednecks
Use of Food & Water
« on: April 08, 2013, 01:24:09 PM »
I'm assuming that at some point in the game, there will be a use for these consumables for somerhing other than fueling our character; essentially we are gathering far more than we could ever use for our characters alone in the game (or even several additional NPCs unless they consume vastly more than is necessary for life).

Factoid: This page, http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/St-Ts/Survival-Needs.html, says that the average person for basic survival/replacement needs 3L of water daily.  1L water = 1.000028Kg.

Based on this, my character must have over 19,422L of water (roughly 42,428 lbs)... it must be stashed somewhere in my safehouse, because I know that I'm not hauling 21.3 tons of water with me on my outings to search buildings.  I've got a healthy amount of food too; I'm guessing my food stash is pretty bulky also. 

Maybe I should get a dog, feed some bunnies, and taking long showers?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:02:05 PM by TyMoore »
“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.”

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
Re: Use of Food & Water
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 01:45:05 PM »
You have over 19,000 days of water?

-Genocidal Wings-

• -Mirage of Deceit-
  • -Betray all with the Flawed Image-
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 01:57:01 PM »
Sorry, had to do it xD

TyMoore

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 02:01:07 PM »
My bad... horrible math skills; I must have accidentally multiplied by 3L twice.  I'll modify my original post such that the numbers there work out correctly. - Good catch God.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:15:04 PM by TyMoore »
“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.”

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 02:10:55 PM »
I was gonna say I have over 7000 and I thought we were close to the same level so I was about to be astonished XD at your ability to find food.

TyMoore

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 02:16:28 PM »
Still... it is a LOT of water.  19422 Liters = 19422000 Cubic Centimeters
To make this more comprehensible, a typical wine barrel has a volume of 225-228L.

This means that every year, a typical survivor requires approximately 4.8 wine barrels of water.

I have 85 fat wine barrels worth of water; my safehouse is not a shack; it is a house FULL of water with a drinkable/sterile swimming pool and/or a cask filled warehouse.

So, my point is... what are we going to do with all this extra water and food?  If it is going to be used for in-game purchases, I'm going to assume that everyone else is inept and/or unwilling to go out and face Zack in search of food and water.

(If so, dumb@$$(s) should move to a river and learn to boil water.)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:20:20 PM by TyMoore »

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 02:20:58 PM »
Still... it is a LOT of water.  19422 Liters = 19422000 Cubic Centimeters
To make this more comprehensible, a typical wine barrel has a volume of 225-228L.

This means that every year, a typical survivor requires approximately 4.8 wine barrels of water.

I have 85 fat wine barrels full of water; my safehouse is not a shack; it is a house FULL of water and/or a warehouse.

So, my point is... what are we going to do with all this extra water and food?  If it is going to be used for in-game purchases, I'm going to assume that everyone else is inept and/or unwilling to go out and face Zack in search of food and water.

(If so, dumb@$$(s) should move to a river and learn to boil water.)

Yeah I figure it will be used as a type of currency. I do understand how much it was just over twice that for your level was going to be inconceivable XD. I will definitely be using some of it for currency when trading becomes enabled. I figure the developers will make a challenge where they are looking for food and water and have plenty of everything else.  (Since we've seen people looking for guns and medkits the only thing left is ammo and food really, maybe armor too.... I also though melee weapons which is why I carry all 20 of my extra machetes)

TyMoore

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 02:29:19 PM »
I'm trying to decide if I should carry all of my extra stuff or not.  I'm trying to balance trade-ready vs. wipeout risk.  I was thinking of offering up as a suggestion two items for the safehouse. 

(1) Wine Barrel - they can run off with your 1L bottles, but not easily with a 500+lb wine cask.  For every wine barrel you have in your safehouse, 225L (75 days) of water is unstealable by all except the most determined of scavengers.

(2) Food Locker - This well constructed locking metal file cabinet sufficiently deters most would-be casual scavengers from running off with your food.  Don't leave it out on the shelves for some smart shopper to snatch-and-grab.  Protects 50 days of food.

If the game ever implements PvP where safehouses can be raided, or encounters that happen at your safehouse, these could be very helpful.

-Genocidal Wings-

• -Mirage of Deceit-
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 04:45:22 PM »
Dang guys. I just have 3,500/4,000 of food and water >___>'

TyMoore

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »
Get your rear in gear!!!
How are we going to let you join our cabal (once PvP is enabled) if you don't carry your own water?

... I kid... I kid...  :D

-Genocidal Wings-

• -Mirage of Deceit-
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 06:55:42 AM »
I will :) it's just gotten kinda tedious lately with no challenges. BUT I do think I've got a fairly sizable amount of guns in stock... ;)

TyMoore

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 08:59:14 AM »
I will :) it's just gotten kinda tedious lately with no challenges. BUT I do think I've got a fairly sizable amount of guns in stock... ;)
Yes.  I'm trying to keep the pinpoint of hope in sight (mid-April update) as I continue Clearing bars, schools, pools, post offices, restaurants, convenience stores, gas stations, fire departments, military bases, fast food joints, etc. ... ugh.

I'm leveled pretty high with my character, so I know that I've seen 90% of what other players can see (unless they live in an area chock-full of specific location-based challenges); I too ran out of regular encounters around Level 4-5.  The trade encounter and sniper encounter helped keep things fresh. 

I'd like to go to a Denny's somewhere, but based on some quick research, the nearest one is a bit out of the way.:(
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:28:07 PM by TyMoore »

TyMoore

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 08:54:41 PM »
So, I'm finally back to Level 24.  I was wondering about the use of food and water.  (This may be revealed in the next update release.)  I know that, to date, I've collected more than I could ever use.  I currently have 5501.5 days of food and 9257.5 days of water (no typos this time).

I don't think it is just for my consumption.  This begs the question. what small army should I be feeding?  How will I be spending my food and water, and what will I receive in compensation for it?

Winningedge101

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 01:47:04 PM »
We should be able to run into traders more often so we could trade food or water for guns, meds, etc

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 02:07:07 PM »
We should be able to run into traders more often so we could trade food or water for guns, meds, etc

It's coming.