Author Topic: Suggest a new topic  (Read 124185 times)

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
  • "Rule number 4: Double Tap"
    • ZDAYNow
Suggest a new topic
« on: March 19, 2013, 10:26:32 AM »
Here is where you suggest a new topic.  If it has not been covered by existing threads, I or another moderator will create a topic for it.  If it has, we will direct you to the topic thread. 

Neat and Tidy, thats what we want. 

E
Bring on The Dead

trusk

• "Good... Bad... I'm the guy with gun."
Re: Suggest a new topic
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 10:42:24 AM »
Can we create a topic about hints, tutorials, walkthroughs? Like, example, how to get to the gun club in the prelude, or how to find the riot shield in the pharmacy.

edmundzilla

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »
I think I would like to know. I don't think I've ever been to the gun club or a pharmacy...

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
    • ZDAYNow
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 11:04:44 AM »
You guys don't think that would be a spoiler?

Ed
Bring on The Dead

WhiskeyDelta

• Time to curb some zombies!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
Yeah it kinda would, but then again u could write "spoiler" in the title. My main guy didn't go to the gun club, cuz I searched my neighbors house instead. And even tho i like the fact it makes it more challenging due to alot less ammo, some people might just rather know how to do it. Then they can take the rest of the game on with a stockpile. Then again...    The best part about this game is, you can play it like u would in real life. And in real life, there's no walkthroughs. I guess I'm on the fence about that then lol
Zombies ain't much to look at once u scrape um off your boot heel

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 01:10:03 PM »
I would be against the walk through page because I think the fun of this game is that almost everyone handles these encounters differently which allows each player to grow in the way they normally would if this actually happened.

On another note perhaps a Q&A topic where users can post general questions and once they are answered the from post will be updated with the answers. So that instead of tons of people asking lots of questions over many threads we will have one hub of information containing most of the news and info related to the game. (So this would solve game issue questions and next updates progress and etc. not walk throughs for challenges)

edmundzilla

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 01:32:02 PM »
I think I'm in the other camp. I firmly believe in the "information age" and so I am all for people sharing how they did in certain static challenges. The game is unique enough because there's location driven encounters, and for those who don't want to read the spoilers, then don't go to the page/thread!

For example, if there's a specific challenge where there is only a 0.1% chance of winning against a massive zombie horde, then sharing that information would benefit the players as a whole.

Another example is the whole machete + riot shield combo. I read on the forums that it was a great combo, so I tried it. However, my character died to another survivor. I think that's a good tip for anyone who's playing this game. The combo might be good for zombies, but survivors usually have guns and sometimes the HP doesn't properly reflect how much you have left (patch 1.1) and you could potentially go from ~35 hp to dead in one attack from one survivor.

I guess I almost feel that more information about the game the more enjoyment I would get from it. Obviously if there's a step by step navigation of specific challenges might be put in a "spoiler" section, but I don't think it should be actively discouraged to write about it.

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
    • ZDAYNow
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 02:06:19 PM »
I'm in favor of sharing "information", like "how to craft a tiger trap, or "how to make a rifle scope from household objects".  But this kind of information isn't the kind of information that is ever going to be applicable in the real world. 

However, i can also see the argument for it in the "game world".

But keep in mind, the players you are helping today may be your opponents tomorrow.

E
Bring on The Dead

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 02:21:42 PM »
I concur with Ed. I don't think we should guide people on challenges. The writers usually say "staying will mean almos certain death for your party" if there is a small chance of living so if you choose to test fate then you should pay the price. Plus the more communal information becomes the highly level everyone else will be. I am a bigger fan if just figuring our myself.

Gutzz

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 02:52:46 PM »
Yeah I prefer no online information sharing, that's a huge spoiler. If you however get few of your friends to play you can share information there.

Anyways way more fun not knowing what happens next.

I got my bro to play and I'm his 24/7 walkthrough.

edmundzilla

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 03:12:18 PM »
While it maybe true that helping people will most likely strengthen them, I predict that feelings and minds would change when they start dying and having to basically start over again. You maybe level 10+ with 3k worth of ammo, but I'm sure you'd be kinda pissed if there was a challenge that basically has 0% chance of survival and you died.

After the first death and you basically start all over again, perhaps you might want to look at the spoilers (since you most likely would have done some of them before, and just wanted to see if there was anything different).

All I'm saying is that information sharing levels the playing field for everyone, whereas the people who don't want information sharing are the one's who gains the most from people being ignorant, and that might weaken the community we're building here.

As for Gutzz's brother, I'm sure he probably appreciates you being his 24/7 walkthrough, but I don't quite follow why you don't want online information sharing. Is it because that would make your game less enjoyable, or just that you want to maintain some sort of advantage on a game that doesn't have pvp yet? To your brother, I'm sure it's the same regardless if he gets it from you or from online.

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 03:27:23 PM »
If the playing field is equal no one will be exceptional. You cannot have great players without bad ones. I would rather have 10 people better than myself than me be equal with everyone. The real world isn't an equal playing field so why would I try to turn something based on real life into something besides real life. If we want realism there will be ignorant people. Idk there is no respawn with everything in this game because it's meant to be difficult, I'm a hardcore gamer and I appreciate the ability to learn from mistakes instead of looking up a guide that will prevent me from dying.

-Genocidal Wings-

• -Mirage of Deceit-
  • -Betray all with the Flawed Image-
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 03:28:32 PM »
Perhaps just to start off, there could be a Prelude walkthrough... I mean that's not too major is it... And we'll, whoever doesn't want things to be spoiled can simply not look into said info. I do agree it kind of takes away from the challenge and possibly enjoyment as well.

Gutzz

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 03:41:58 PM »
Nah pvp doesn't really bother me, I highly doubt I can find people to pvp against since I'm living in Hong Kong and China. Using a walkthrough does take away the enjoyment of the game. For me I always use a walkthrough, basically every game I play if they have a walkthrough I'll use it eventually (too tempting) Last game I was playing dragon age 2 I really enjoyed the game at first not knowing what's coming next. Then I decided to use the walkthrough and now feels like a chore playing it. (Just playing it now to see how the story plays out)

To me right now the greatest fun is not knowing what's coming next in this game. I fear dying from the choices I make, I want to find companions and everytime I encounter a random challenge I do a little dance.
Really enjoying the game the way it is and I'm pretty sure a walkthrough will kinda make it a lot less enjoyable.

But yeah im hellva worried that ill die and need to start over. I think losing all your items and level is too much, the items you leave in the safe house should still be there. For the new character to find, you should just lose all your on hand inventory.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:43:30 PM by Gutzz »

edmundzilla

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 03:46:43 PM »
I can understand that the real world isn't an equal playing field, and by definition, *this* world shouldn't be either. However, I'm not much of an expert, but most governments don't stop people from posting on the internet about where they got the best deals from, or how-to guides for doing things.

Another example would be if you're a car sales man (I'm not saying that you are) being angry at sites that guides people to get the best deal on buying a car. The car sales man hates those type of sites, but the rest of the community that reads it likes it.

I also don't think I'm in the minority. I think if people post information/guides/tips/whatever, other people would read it and probably appreciate it. Only a small minority that wants to be the best (though this game doesn't really have a who's the best) would get angry because they're no longer "the best". In this game, the best players in my opinion are not the most skilled, but the one's who started first, hoarded as many items as possible and have the highest level. If you had 100 medikits, it'll take a damn long time for you to die, but it doesn't mean you're exceptional.

Going back to the realism of this world, if there really is a zombie outbreak, I would rather group up and trust other people than go out by myself, it might lead me to die quicker, but at least there's safety in numbers.

We're just speculating on what PVP would look like, but for most games, I've always like to surround myself with a group of people, and information in most games are the tools to bond people together.