Author Topic: ANDROID VERSION - Why isn't there one?  (Read 19595 times)

Ed

• Creator, Survivor Z
  • Administrator
  • "Rule number 4: Double Tap"
    • ZDAYNow
ANDROID VERSION - Why isn't there one?
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:41:45 AM »
I have had a lot of people ask "Why have you not released Survivor Z for Android Devices?"  Well, the best way to answer that is with a question; "What kind of Android Device do you have?"

And no matter what answer they provide, they have answered the question of why we don't have an Android build, or at least a big part of it. 

The reason is really simple and two fold, and believe it or not, not about which platform is "superior" 
for a developer, it comes down to this:

1. Android devices are not identified as a single group or even several groups.  They are literally thousands of different devices, all with their own unique processor families, screen sizes, resolutions, and even operating system versions.  And no matter how cool you are, you can go broke trying to release a game that works on even half of them.  This is called "Device Fragmentation" in the business, and while a free market is beautiful, standardization favors the developer.     

2. The other reason is mostly cultural, and I say this at the risk of sounding judgmental and condescending, but I am basing my statements on purely empirical evidence that completely supports this hypothesis:
Android users do not prefer to buy apps, they prefer to get them for free.  I don't have a problem with that, the Operating system is free, the devices are much cheaper than the Apple Stuff, and the Google Play market is practically open anything goes compared to the rather regimented Apple App Store, believe me, I get it.  But you must also believe that a developer who loves (with every fiber of our being) loves making games that we want to do this and nothing else, but we can't quit our day jobs if we don't make money.  And the Google Play market simply doesn't earn you anywhere near the money that Apps in the App Store can make, and thats just the way it is.   

No matter how you slice it Fruit Ninjas, the Android market is a comparatively weak market to make money in.  Google has made it easy to upload any app that you make, and that has brought a lot of apps into the market, but by doing so, they have driven down quality, as well as customer expectations, and made it increasingly difficult for a small developer to crack that market, and even if they do, device fragmentation is waiting on the other side of the door to hit them right between the eyes.     

We are trying to include an Android Version, but for us to spend that time and money it has to make sense.  And I hope it does soon.  In the end, the two options that really look the most promising are just targeting a few of the larger device families, such as the Samsung Galaxy, the Kindle Fire and the Nook HD.  (And everyone who doesn't have one of those just felt a pang in their heart) - which only reinforces the point. 

Unfortunately, I can't say definitely if that will happen, and I certainly can't speculate as to when.  I would say that if we did it at all, it would make the most sense to do it in the Spring, while we still have some of our launch momentum. 

~ Ed
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:35:30 PM by Mongadillo Admin »
Bring on The Dead

Arcsbane

Re: ANDROID VERSION - Why isn't there one?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 10:41:22 PM »
Now that the app is free, is an Android release being revisited? I have at least three friends who very much would love to play, but do not have an Apple phone.

thock321

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:51:38 AM »
Now that the app is free, is an Android release being revisited? I have at least three friends who very much would love to play, but do not have an Apple phone.
Nope, and the reasons are in Ed's post.  They still stand whether or not the app is free.

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 09:53:17 AM »
Nope, and the reasons are in Ed's post.  They still stand whether or not the app is free.

This is correct and is why Ed posted it.... Try to read before asking a question that was answered in many ways in the creation of the topic.

Arcsbane

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »
I understand the post. I didn't "try to read" it, I did read it. My question is valid, I believe. Fifty percent of the reason given above is that Android users prefer free apps. Now that the app is free, that part of the post seems irrelevant to their new business model. In the context of the new business model, I ask if device fragmentation is too big a hurdle to overcome. No need for nastiness or puffed chests. Just a simple question.

-Genocidal Wings-

• -Mirage of Deceit-
  • -Betray all with the Flawed Image-
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 03:57:48 PM »
The question would be, is it worth it for them to potentially invest in such a thing?

Arcsbane

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 04:44:10 PM »
Agreed, Genocidal Wings. I don't know how successful the game has been, but this post seems outdated now that the app is free. Will Android support now be a stretch goal or just not considered until way into the future. Like I said, I do have a few friends who are very very interested in this game, and they spend as much as I do on things like this (which is way more than I probably should), but they lack the iPhones.

Edit - worded poorly, cleaned up text
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:50:54 PM by Arcsbane »

ryan

• ZDay Code Ninja
  • Administrator
  • Admin - Dev
    • Three Jacks Software
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 06:42:46 PM »
Here are a couple of interesting reads:

http://www.zdnet.com/its-revenue-not-market-share-thats-attracting-devs-to-ios-7000016615/

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/04/17/apple-ios-still-revenue-champ/

At some point I think taking Survivor Z to other platforms will make sense, but our immediate focus is finishing the iOS version and making it as great as possible.

Ryan

Arcsbane

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 08:00:44 PM »
That second link has some incredible statistics. Thanks for sharing that. I completely understand your decision to focus on the iOS. That said, I hope Survivor Z explodes in popularity and an Android version becomes more realistic.

RAIDERRED

• "He Who Hesitates is Lost"
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 11:21:19 AM »
Will it come??? Pleas!!!
RAIDERRED

Treknishion

• Klaato Barrata Nikto!💀
    • Treknishion Softworks
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 01:27:12 PM »
Will it come??? Pleas!!!

It won't come for awhile. Please pay attention to what's already been said before you post.
"Good, bad... I'm the guy with the gun."-Ash "The Chosen One" Williams

RAIDERRED

• "He Who Hesitates is Lost"
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 04:24:55 PM »
Will it come??? Pleas!!!

It won't come for awhile. Please pay attention to what's already been said before you post.
Sorry I did not reach that conclusion from the previous posts
RAIDERRED

Capt. Stokes

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 12:54:41 AM »
Hey it's been pretty close to a year since u said that Ed and I think the game has gotten pretty much MOST not all but mostly all the big features. So why do u guys try and release it on galaxy, amazon, and the other one by the time u started this topic how bout it. Wanna give it a go ed n Ryan?
When the world is in disaster the best survivor will be the wisest.

Ryguy114

• Survival is more than just being alive.
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 06:51:47 AM »
They've already announced that work on an android version will begin in January.
It doesn't matter how strong you are, mentally or physically, how brave or quick witted, this world will be the end of all of us. This just isn't something that a species survives through, this is our extinction.

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 07:00:49 AM »
Hey it's been pretty close to a year since u said that Ed and I think the game has gotten pretty much MOST not all but mostly all the big features. So why do u guys try and release it on galaxy, amazon, and the other one by the time u started this topic how bout it. Wanna give it a go ed n Ryan?

You need to be patient. They are focusing on the IOS version and then will move to the android version.