Author Topic: So what tools can actually be used?  (Read 25901 times)

TyMoore

• Rule 23: God Bless Rednecks
Re: So what tools can actually be used?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 11:08:39 PM »
Moderator input?... I feel the need to be moderated.
“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.”

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 06:23:19 AM »
Moderator input?... I feel the need to be moderated.

All I know is they are considering encounters. I personally don't really need a standard for them I'm more interested in finding them then naming the types of them.

TyMoore

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 09:40:04 AM »
I understand your sentiment.  But, don't you arm yourself differently when starting into an special encounter rather than your typical search, destroy, search, leave encounter?  Since the purpose of a forum is to share ideas, I find common terminology helpful... so, I'll just go with what I previously used.

So, to answer the question previously posited by Trusk, in my experience, the tools are generally only useful in special encounters.  However, once crafting is enabled and/or Ed and team have more opportunity to craft different scenarios for the normal encounters, this may change.

So, for special encounters, keep your dental floss and binoculars handy... there is a greater chance you'll get to use them.
“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.”

-Genocidal Wings-

• -Mirage of Deceit-
  • -Betray all with the Flawed Image-
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »
I got into any kind of situation with the same gear xD If it's a situation where you might need to use a tool, then you'll have plenty of time to just access your bag and take 'em out.

TyMoore

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 10:02:16 AM »
You don't even double check that your health is full?  (I consider HP something that you can equip with first aid, even in the middle of a battle, assuming that your kits are in the top one or two bars of your menu.)

It has been a while since I've had an encounter with my main, but I recall that if something unusual popped up the first thing I did was make sure that my HP was above 80.  (I occasionally let it dip lower while churning through locations because it will heal overnight anyway.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:17:46 AM by TyMoore »

-Genocidal Wings-

• -Mirage of Deceit-
  • -Betray all with the Flawed Image-
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 10:11:50 AM »
Oh. My HP doesn't go below 80 most of the time. It's almost always at 100. It only starts going down when I fight big hordes.

But yeah when I get special situations its common sense to check your main equipment up quickly and go on ahead.

TyMoore

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 12:22:26 PM »
Okay, then we mostly agree.  Here are my tips for newbies (especially if you aren't sporting kevlar and a riot helmet) when entering into any situation, especially one that appears to be special or unique;

1) Before starting a fight, check your HP and use a First Aid Kit if you can spare one.
2) Check your 1st line armament.  A couple semi-auto handguns, a high level melee weapon(s), and a large rifle seem to be universally accepted.  Also acceptable is to equip a riot shield instead of one of the handguns or melee weapons.  Consider putting first aid in your 2nd row; if it is accessable and you're taking lots of hits, it might save your life.
3) Equip your most damaging weapon(s); sometimes trouble appears and you don't have access to your inventory.  Rest assured, if the situation turns out to be less than intimidating you can always switch and play with tools or more creative weaponry.
4) Carefully read your options.  In non-combat situations consider putting some other items (tools, etc.) in your hands, then check your options to see if that makes any differene.  Along the same lines, consider taking items/weapons out of your hands.  But, be careful before disarming yourself in the presence of others; it is very rarely advisable (only a couple times to date, and both times the person(s) were minding their own business and not doing anything strange when I found them).  Also keep in mind that some tools have offensive capability; I'll leave it to you to figure out which tools I'm referring to.
5) Once you start fighting, keep an eye on your HP and ammo.  Cycle weapons if ammunition gets low.  Use first aid if health gets low (if you die, it is gone anyway).
6) Use your best judgement when determining kill order: kill the large targets - they'll attack the following round, grouped targets - if you have a weapon that might strike and kill several in a single round, targets that are getting lower in the screen - indicating increasing initiative which might make them more dangerous if they attack and/or prevent you from switching weapons or running away.
6) Don't be too proud to run away, survive, and kick butt another day... if you can.  Choosing when to engage the enemy (and when not to... to run) is as important, if not more important, than the weapons you bring to the fight.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:25:30 PM by TyMoore »

JamesBloomfield

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 01:07:48 AM »
I just used the safehouse for the first time.  Main reason... to make my inventory easier to use so that I can pull out any of those odd items I might want to try to solve mission challenges in unique ways.

I want to use the dental floss, the stove, and maybe fishing line or the saw.

Used the dental floss and fishing line for the same thing.

I just read this and then immediately entered a location that said something like "places like this are big and dangerous, you must always keep an eye on the door" with only the option to leave. The moment I clicked "leave" it occurred to me that I might have just missed the opportunity to use the dental floss / fishing line - am I on the right tracks here?!!

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 02:10:05 PM »
I just used the safehouse for the first time.  Main reason... to make my inventory easier to use so that I can pull out any of those odd items I might want to try to solve mission challenges in unique ways.

I just read this and then immediately entered a location that said something like "places like this are big and dangerous, you must always keep an eye on the door" with only the option to leave. The moment I clicked "leave" it occurred to me that I might have just missed the opportunity to use the dental floss / fishing line - am I on the right tracks here?!!

I didn't use it there I used it at an event.

Tomahawk

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »
I feel like I've missed out on a bunch now. Im level 14 and have used very few items. I found the post office when I was around level 4. Did I miss something?

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 06:03:49 PM »
I feel like I've missed out on a bunch now. Im level 14 and have used very few items. I found the post office when I was around level 4. Did I miss something?

What do you mean what do you miss?

Tomahawk

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 07:18:05 PM »

What do you mean what do you miss?

Im not sure, did I miss out on some special object or weapon? Just wondering.

MackCothran12

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2013, 07:23:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure missions are not level dependent.

god

• Administrator
  • Rule #1 "Cardio"
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2013, 07:45:51 PM »
Some missions are. As well as equipment. The little Lvl 5 (Or whatever number you see) is the minimum level required to achieve that item. Some missions do have a minimum level requirement.

TyMoore

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 12:21:23 AM »

That text pops up often. I actually had the same thought and tried dental floss and fishing line without any change in options.  There may be a time and opportunity, so keep trying, but I suspect that you didn't miss anything.